Monday 14 September 2015

Review: T.M Frazier's "The Dark Light of Day."

Review: T.M Frazier's "The Dark Light of Day."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1MXoiVG
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1TX0e5U

Review: Surj 

Abby has been through hell and has survived one of the most brutal childhoods imaginable... barely. 

To the outside world she is just a loner with an attitude. 

When her grandmother dies in a tragic explosion, Abby is left with questions-and nothing else. 

Homeless, sleeping in a junkyard, and on the run from a system that has failed her over and over again, she meets Jake, a tattooed blue-eyed biker with secrets that rival her own. 

Two broken souls that can't be healed. They can't be saved. 

Abby & Jake have to decide if they can accept the darkness not only within one another, but within themselves. 

If they can accept each other for who they really are, they might be able to learn that love isn't always found in the light.

Caution: This is not your typical romance. The story of Abby & Jake contains disturbing situations, graphic violence, sex, strong language, drug use, and all types of abuse.

Review: Surj

"The Dark Light of Day"... how do I even begin to describe this book and everything I went through whilst reading it? Honestly, I feel like I was sucked in, chewed up and spat out and even now when I think about Abby and Jake's story, I'm still affected, my emotions getting the better of me. This couple's journey was definitely an unexpected one. From the prologue and and first few chapters, I thought I had an idea as to the direction their story would take but I was wrong. In fact I was wrong on so many counts. Each time I thought I had things sussed, each time I saw a glimmer of hope for a brighter future, I was knocked on my arse by a twist, a bombshell I hadn't seen coming, throwing everything I thought I knew, everything I'd been feeling up in the air. This was one hell of an unpredictable read but it was one that stole my breath away (at times in such a beautiful way but equally, there where moments I felt like I had been sucker punched in the gut, the air being knocked clean right out of my lungs). If you're expecting a walk in the park with this one, think again. What I will say is that every word you read, every emotion you feel will be worth it because this is one of those books that will stay with you for a long time. 

How could broken plus broken ever equal whole?

Jake and Abby's story was one born from tragedy. From parents who were supposed to protect them but didn't to a system that failed them time and time again, theirs was a story marred by pain, suffering and hurt. In fact there were scenes I read that turned my stomach. That made me feel sick. That made me question my faith in man kind. But those darker elements were balanced out by one hell of a friends to lovers story that had my heart fluttering and my stomach in knots at all the possibilities for this couple. I'm not saying that Jake and Abby's story was all unicorns, rainbows and sunshine once they got together, not by a long shot but there were definitely times where I swooned, where I was giddy with happiness, where I was so excited for this couple and what the future held for them. But I should have known, I should have realised I was being lulled into a false sense of security, a calm before the mother of all storm, where this couple would encounter the worst of the worst. Where trust would be questioned, hearts would be broken and souls should be left shattered. I felt every ounce of this couple's journey right down to my very soul, every bit of happiness and heart break, every bit of joy and sorrow touched me and made me feel like I was experiencing Jake and Abby's  road to a HEA with them. 

I fell asleep that night in the arms of a killer. I'd never slept better.

Abbys' character was one that left me in awe. From the troubled, sarcastic, untrusting and very defensive teenager to the beautiful, strong, resilient woman she became, her journey in learning to trust, learning to love and learning to let go was one that was heart felt. And Jake... I loved him... I hated him... I loved him... I wanted to kick him really hard in the shins. This man was beautiful and thoughtful and offered the hand of friendship unconditionally but his behaviour at times frustrated the hell out of me. However, I had to keep reminding myself that although "The Dark Light of Day" was being told by Abby, Jake too had his issues, trust being one of them and so his behaviour was a clear representation of that. Whether I liked it or not was insignificant. What it was, was real and honest and frank. Life isn't a bed of roses and sometimes, just sometimes we make judgement calls that are wrong and unjustified and those are the decisions we have to live by. 

"Why do I want to touch you? Are you fucking kidding me right now? 
I want to help you. I want to hold you. I want to make it all okay for you. 
I want to fucking touch you because you are the most beautiful person I've ever seen, 
and I can't imagine never being able to hold your hand or kiss you. And yes - 
I want to fuck you, too, like I've never wanted anything in my whole life."

The writing in "The Dark Light of Day" was flawless, it was heart felt and it was emotional. Told predominantly from Abby's POV however, I do wish there had been more from Jake. I really wanted to get inside his head during certain scenes, see what he was thinking. A girl can hope but maybe one day we might get that. 

This book was beautiful yet ugly. It was heart warming yet soul destroying in equal measure. Where there was a glimmer of hope, there was equal measure of a sense of foreboding. Nothing ended up how I thought it would but I'm glad because this ensured I was glued to the pages until the end. My only gripe and it is a little one was how suddenly Jake and Abby went from friends to lovers. It was quick... really quick will left me somewhat surprised and knocked me a little off balance. However, I soon found myself back on track, captivated, addicted even to every word I read. This was one hell of a read, one that gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

We were just us. Broken and bruised. Fucked up and messy. 
And together we were everything we never though we could be.


No comments:

Post a Comment