Wednesday 25 November 2015

Review: Belle Aurora's "Lev (Shot Callers #1)."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1Sjpd25
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1G88ugE

Synopsis:

From the moment Lev Leokov spots the young woman hiding behind her hair in the middle of the gentleman's club, he can't take his eyes off of her.
For the very first time in his life, he is affected. Having been told his entire life that he can't process or understand emotion, he considers it a big deal.

When Mina Harris gets caught red-handed with a wallet that isn't hers, she falls apart. She's tired, lonely and hasn't eaten in days.

Lev offers her an ultimatum... A nice warm bed, a hot meal and a job, or the cops.

Mina takes her chances with Lev. 
After all, a person with nothing has nothing left to lose.

Review: Surj 

Having read the synopsis for "Lev," I'll admit, I had some pre conceived ideas about what this book would be like. I was expecting a bit of darkness, a touch of edginess, a brooding, gruff anti hero and a storyline that would have my nerves doing somersaults. I guess it didn't help that the only other book I've read by this author is "Raw" and if you've read that, you can probably understand where some of my thoughts came from. Umm, well yeah so got it wrong, so very wrong. This book was nothing like how I imagined it would be but I absolutely loved it. 

“I don’t know what love is,” I started quietly. “But if I could love anyone…” 
I pressed a gentle kiss behind her ear, pulling her close. “I would love you. Very much..."

Although "Lev" started off pretty heavy going, this absolutely did not set the tone for the rest of the book which ended up being really sweet, cute, endearing and heart warming. And the humour... OMG I giggled and laughed so many times because of one thing or another. If it wasn't Lev and his mannerisms, it was Mina and the situations she found herself in and if it wasn't that, then it was the drama that followed the extended family. This was such a stark contrast to Raw but equally as brilliant in it's own right. I'm fast cottoning on to the fact that this author can show diversity not only in her writing style but her characters and storylines... amen to that!!! Halle.. freakin' - lujah. Belle Aurora.. I'm fast becoming a huge fan of yours. 

Lev's character was one that very quickly stole my heart. It was so difficult not to fall in love with him. He was all man in one breath... sexy as sin, suited and booted, with a hot as hell ass to go with. And the icing on the cake... those alpha male, over protective, domineering tendencies that had me going so very weak at the knees. However there was another side to Lev and I think it was that more so than anything that attracted me to his character. He had a vulnerability that made me want to wrap him up in cotton wool, a quirkiness, a social awkwardness that made me grin like a cheshire cat and an honesty that made me swoon like crazy. This man had a heart of gold and I fell head over heels for him fast. 

"You told me that you planned to marry one man, and that one man would be me. 
I agree with you. I think you should marry me." 

Mina was a brilliant leading lady. Her compassion and understanding when it came to Lev was second to none and her gratitude for the life line she had been given humbled me. 

Lev and Mina as a couple were a real force to be reckoned with. I loved the little bubble they found themselves in. Their strength, resilience and open and honest attitude acted as a forcefield ensuring nothing and no one came between them and boy oh boy did they try time and time again. I loved how each of these characters grew through the course of their journey and I absolutely adored how their connection developed. It was realistic and beautiful and made me giddy with happiness. 

"They say penguins mate for life. I want to be your penguin."

"Lev" was not just a story about this couple and their love. This story also focused on the extended Russian Family. We had Sasha and Nas, Victor and Anika, Alessio and Corinna to name but a few  who deserve their own story. And not forgetting Lidiya who was just the cutest little kiddo ever. 

Although this story centred around a Russian family (kinda mob like), although there was some drama, much of it was resolved pretty quickly which I was fine with to be honest. There was no dragging things out for the sake of it which was good. 

I cannot wait to see whose story we get next. The possibilities are endless. What I do know is that it will be an automatic one click for me. 

I rated "Lev" ❤️❤️❤️❤️

"This is Mina. She was homeless. I found her. I'm keeping her. 
She loves me. So we're getting married."

No comments:

Post a Comment