Thursday 15 January 2015

Review: Laurelin Paige's "Free Me (The Found Duet #1)".

Review: Laurelin Paige's "Free Me (The Found Duet #1)".


Synopsis:

Her story started long before she started working at The Sky Launch...

Screw fairytales. The only reward Gwen Anders got from her rough childhood was a thick skin and hard heart. She’s content with her daily grind managing a top NYC nightclub—Eighty-Eighth Floor. So hers isn’t a happily ever after. She doesn’t believe in those anyway.

Then she meets J.C.

The rich, smooth talking playboy is the sexiest thing that Gwen has ever encountered, but she’s not interested in a night-in-shining latex. But when a family tragedy pushes her to the brink, it’s J.C. who’s there to teach her a new method of survival, one based on following primal urges and desires. His no-strings-attached lessons require her to abandon her constant need for control. Her carefully built walls are obliterated.

Gwen discovers there’s a beautiful world outside her prison. Freedom is exhilarating—and terrifying. When she starts to feel something for J.C., she fears for her heart. Especially as she realizes that he has secrets of his own. Secrets that don't want to set him free.

This series can be read alone or with the Fixed Trilogy. 

Review-Jo 

As a fan of Laurelin Paige's "The Fixed Trilogy", I have been excited to begin this spin off series ever since it was first released. This week, I finally got the chance and I'm happy to say that I was not disappointed. Yet again, Laurelin has delivered a fantastic and addictive series and I can't wait for more. "Free Me" was a sexy and mysterious read that was full of twists and turns and left me guessing until the very end.

I fell into him. I melted. And he melted into me. Filling my spaces, 
smothering my emptiness. Making me whole. Making me free.

This spin off series centred around Gwen. If you've read "The Fixed Trilogy", you may remember Gwen as Norma's sister, the girl who went to work in The Sky Launch alongside Alayna (but to be honest, you really do not need to have read that series first). "Free Me" can be read as a standalone (However, I do recommend reading "The Fixed Trilogy" because it is brilliant!). 

Following a traumatic childhood, Gwen had learned to hide her emotions well. To most people she was closed off, refusing to open her heart to anyone. Gwen was happy to live her life without any kind of relationship so when she first met J.C, she refused to give into the attraction that she felt for him and walked away. 

While really attractive men usually had no effect on me whatsoever, 
this one did. And that...scared me.

J.C being the relentless man he was offered Gwen an arrangement that she couldn't refuse. An arrangement that suited her perfectly. A chance of a relationship based on sex and nothing else. No emotions involved so no one would get hurt. Exactly the kind of relationship that Gwen could handle...or so she thought! 

"I really don't want you falling in love with me. It won't be pretty." 
"Rest assured, JC . There is nothing you could do to make me fall in love with you." 

From the word go, J.C was a mystery. For starters, he refused to share his real name or anything else about him. Despite the mystery, I did really like him. He appeared to be a good guy and he was very sexy, but that didn't sway my judgement at all! lol. J.C was caring and thoughtful and I had a good feeling about him. I truly thought he was a man that Gwen could trust and I was certain that he wouldn't break her heart despite his secrets. What was he hiding? I was desperate to find out. 

He made me feel wanted. He made me feel something other than boring. 
He made me feel. Period.

With the progression of the story, J.C and Gwen's arrangement was going well. Together they sizzled. J.C helped Gwen to open up emotionally as well as sexually. It was a delight to see Gwen grow and accept her true feelings but as she was making her own emotional breakthrough it appeared that J.C was going in the opposite direction. J.C became closed off and struggled with how Gwen was changing him. I worried about what the future held for J.C and Gwen. Yikes, things were not looking good! 

"We broke lots of rules today, Gwen" 
"Rules were made to be broken." 

The story of J.C and Gwen was one that excited me and kept me on the edge of my seat. The first part of the book was a little slow paced but it soon picked up and I discovered that I couldn't put my kindle down, reading way past my bedtime. Laurelin threw in some unexpected twists and surprises and for the last 30% I don't think I breathed! I was dreading what would happen but at the same time I couldn't wait to find out. As with most series' this story left me with a lot of unanswered questions and I can't wait to get the answers.Bring on the concluding book. I can't wait!!!

"As many times as it takes. I will kiss away your bruises. I'll kiss away your pain." 

"Free Me" gets my first ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ of the year!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment