Friday 8 August 2014

Review: Kristen Ashley's "Golden Trail (The 'Burg #3)"

5 Hearts Review: Kristen Ashley's "Golden Trail (The 'Burg #3)"


Synopsis: 

Tanner Layne and Raquel Merrick fell in love young, hard and fast and both of them knew a beautiful life they thought would be forever. 

Until Rocky left Layne, no explanation, no going back.

Layne escapes The ‘Burg only to come back years later because his ex-wife has hooked herself to the town jerk and Layne needs to make sure his sons get raised right. Layne manages to avoid Rocky but when Layne gets three bullets drilled into him while investigating a dirty cop, he can’t do that because Rocky stops avoiding Layne. They make a deal to work together to expose the dirty cop but they have no idea the strength of their enduring attraction or the sheer evil at work in The ‘Burg. 

As Tanner Layne and Raquel Merrick play their game and dance around the pull that draws them together, Layne has to discover the dark secrets buried so deep in Rocky’s heart she doesn’t even know they’re there at the same time untangle a sinister web of crime so abhorrent it has to be stopped... at all costs. 

And to do it, Layne has to enlist everyone, including his ex-CIA mentor, Rocky’s detective brother, the town’s unpredictable informant and Layne’s two teenage sons all the while stopping Rocky from doing something crazy and keeping their game secret so Layne won't get himself dead.

Review-Jo 

The main thing I've noticed whilst reading The Burg series is that Kristen Ashley really does pack everything into her stories!! Each and every one that I have read so far has been full of drama, suspense, mystery, romance and some great characters that will stay with me forever. 

"Golden Trail" was the third book in the Burg Series and I felt that this was one of my favorites so far. I loved everything about it.

This book gave me Layne and Rocky's story.

Layne was a sexy private investigator who made it his business to get involved in problems that concerned his town. He cared about his family and friends and would do everything in his power to stop any wrong doing. You could say he was a bit of a superman character! Layne was also big family man , he was a single dad with two teenagers. I loved getting to know him and his boys. He was a brilliant dad and they made a great family. Layne longed for a time when he could sit back and enjoy a beautiful life with them. Unfortunately his job never seemed to give him a break. 

I really liked Rocky, she was just lovely. There wasn't a bad bone in her body and it was impossible not to love her. Rocky, was a local school teacher and as such was extremely passionate about protecting her town from anything bad happening so when alarm bells start to ring, Rocky and Layne agree to work together for the good of the community. 

The problem was that Rocky and Layne shared history together. Once upon a time they were crazy in love and Layne thought that Rocky was his future until it all went wrong. Rocky up and left without any explanation leaving poor Layne heartbroken. 

"You're worried I'm going to leave you," 
"Yeah,"
"Don't let me leave you,"
"I won't" 
"No matter what." 
"No matter what."
"Promise."
"I promise, baby."

Layne had never truly recovered from this heartbreak so when the pair were reunited, I wondered what would go down between them. 

"You got us all in your snare, sweetcheeks. We're bound up in it. You can't cut us loose just 
because of whatever-the-fuck is goin' on in that head of yours. This time, baby, with my 
boys in the mix, you, can't cut us loose and go your merry fuckin' 
way because I'm not gonna let you cut us loose." 

Rocky and Layne were great together and it wasn't long before things began to get cosy between the pair. It was like they were meant to be, even after all those years apart, they were so natural together and there was no doubt in my mind that this couple would work. I found myself cheering them on, willing them to give into their true feelings. Rocky and Layne made such a brilliant couple and I just wanted them to find their happy ever after. 

"Live this with me, just live it. Whatever happens. However it happens. Live it with me..." 

I loved the plot in this story, it kept me hooked throughout. I have come to realize that the drama in Kristen's books do not just go in a straight line but they zigzag all over the place, linking characters and places together and that's what kept me gripped. I was wondering what was going to happen and who was going to be involved next. In this case it felt like the whole town was involved so I was reunited with the majority of the characters from the previous books. 

I absolutely loved catching up with all characters that I love from The Burg. I am getting the impression that this author enjoys writing about about warm friendly town's like The Burg and I love reading about them. I truly love the characters and I love how the author embraces the big family way of life. I think I may want to move to The Burg by the time I've finished this series (maybe without the dangerous events though! lol).

So once again this was another fabulous story and I can not think of one bad think to say about it! 

"Golden Trail" gets five beautiful hearts from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment