Thursday 23 August 2018

Review: Josie Silver's "One Day in December (A Christmas Love Story).

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/2CjwJbu
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/2AhXOtM

Synopsis:

Laurie is pretty sure love at first sight doesn't exist. After all, life isn't a scene from the movies, is it? But then, through a misted-up bus window one snowy December day, she sees a man who she knows instantly is the one. Their eyes meet, there's a moment of pure magic...and then her bus drives away.

Laurie thinks she'll never see the boy from the bus again. But at their Christmas party a year later, her best friend Sarah introduces her to the new love of her life. Who is, of course, the boy from the bus.

Determined to let him go, Laurie gets on with her life. 

But what if fate has other plans?

Review: Surj 

"One Day in December" was my first read of 2018 (yes I know, I was fortunate enough to get an early copy) and I can't thank this author enough because this genius piece of work saved me from the mother of all book funks. I'd become a little disheartened by the book world as a whole and found myself inching away from a place that had been a safe haven for a long time. Nothing grabbed my attention any more and if I was reading one book a month, it was a miracle. But new year, new start and I thought I'd give it one last shot and thank god I did because this book  left my heart feeling so full and reminded  me why I fell in love with romance reads in the first place. 


Christmas insults my eyeballs everywhere I look; I've been shopping for the last few 
hours and I'm at the point where I want to bludgeon Rudolph, bump of Mariah Carey 
and strangle the next person who pushes me with the nearest string of tinsel. 

In "One Day in December," Josie Silver gave us a book that was refreshingly different, captivating and addictive. I read it in one day because I just had to know how it all ended. Laurie and Jack's story touched me, it moved me, it affected me and it overwhelmed me, leaving me speechless by the time I'd turned the last page. It really was a masterpiece of the best kind. 


I'm lost. Lost in his words, and his arms, and in what might have been. 

Now although this was a love story, it wasn't a love story of the conventional kind (thank god!!!). But then who wants a simple, straight forward romance? Where's the fun in that? You want a book that will challenge your mind and emotions. You want to feel your heart beat so fast, it feels like it might jump right out of your chest. You want to feel those butterflies in your belly. You want to feel your cheeks wet from the tears you've cried. And yes, Laurie and Jack's story gave me all of those things so make sure you have a box of tissues at hand!!!! 


Despite the fairytale snowstorm out there, this isn't Narnia. This is London, real life,
where hearts get kicked and bruised and broken, but somehow they still keep beating. 

"One Day in December" was a story about missed chances and maybe's. It was about love, loyalty and sacrifice. Can love conquer all? Is there such a thing as "the one?" Would you settle for anything less than 100%? But for me, one of the most important themes that ran through the core of this book was friendship, that special bond between the main characters. Their story spanned many years and thanks to the exquisite writing of this author, I was able to experience the journey through life these wonderful people went on. I laughed with them, celebrated their successes, loved with them and hurt for them. 


I'm so very tired of swimming. Most of the time I feel like the tide 
is going to pull me under, but here in Jack's arms I feel as if he just 
reached over the side of a life raft and hauled me to safety. 

This really is one of the best books I've read in a very long time. It's up there with my all time favourites and the bonus was, it was British in characters and setting and the author stayed true to that (so expect lots of wankers and twats!!!).  "One Day in December" was breath taking, it was emotional, it was painful and it was beautiful. There were times I thought my heart would never survive it. And if I never read another book again, I'd die happy knowing this was the last one!!!! If I could give it more than ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️   I would. This one really does deserve all of the hearts. 


Review: Jo 

I've wanted to read this book ever since the beautiful cover first caught my eyes, and then I read the synopsis and I knew that "One Day in December" was a must read for Christmas. I had a feeling that this book was going to be the perfect holiday read and I was so right. This book is the only romance novel that you will need in your hands this festive season. 

"So, my only resolution this year? To work out how to fall out of love."

I have always had a love/hate relationship with love triangles. I usually find them incredibly frustrating, sending me so crazy that I want to throw my kindle at the wall, but at the same time I soon find myself becoming addicted to the passion and the love that jumps from the pages. I just can't help myself with them. This was what I was expecting when I first met Laurie and Jack, however I got it completely wrong. The story of Laurie, Jack and Sarah became a captivating tale of love, friendship and life's missed opportunities. I loved every minute of the journey that this book took me on. 

"You tread lightly through life, 
but you leave deep footprints that are hard for other people to fill."

I absolutely loved the characters in this book, especially Laurie and Sarah. They were both so lovable and their stories were easy to relate to.  I quickly became invested in what was happening and loved the development of the characters. I truly had no clue what was going to happen between Laurie, Sarah and Jack but I didn't want anything bad to happen between the friends. My favourite thing about this story was Laurie and Sarah's friendship.

"I'm lost. Lost in his words, and in his arms, 
and in what might have been." 

Because I was so involved in the story I felt all kinds of emotions throughout this novel. I smiled and laughed in places, Laurie did make me chuckle an awful lot. I also became sad and even cried during one particularly heartbreaking chapter. I really did feel like I was right there, part of the friendship and feeling the same emotions as the characters. I lived this story alongside Laurie, Sarah and Jack, so by the time I reached those final few chapters, I was more than ready for a HEA and I wasn't disappointed. I was given a swoon-worthy ending that belongs in a movie, in fact I can easily see this entire story played out on the big screen. It would make the perfect Christmas movie. 
"I hold him, and he holds me, 
and for the first time in years, there's nothing missing at all." 

I loved everything about "One Day in December" and it gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment