Friday 11 November 2016

Review: Shappi Khorsandi's "Nina is Not Ok."

The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog are pleased to share their review of Shappi Khorsandi's "Nina is Not Ok."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/2eORlPG
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/2eIjG6J

Synopsis:

Nina does not have a drinking problem. She likes a drink, sure. But what 17-year-old doesn’t?

Nina’s mum isn’t so sure. But she’s busy with her new husband and five year old Katie. And Nina’s almost an adult after all.

And if Nina sometimes wakes up with little memory of what happened the night before, then her friends are all too happy to fill in the blanks. Nina’s drunken exploits are the stuff of college legend.

But then one dark Sunday morning, even her friends can’t help piece together Saturday night. All Nina feels is a deep sense of shame, that something very bad has happened to her…

A dark, funny - sometimes shocking - coming of age novel from one of the UK’s leading comedians. NINA IS NOT O.K. will appeal to fans of Caitlin Moran and Lena Dunham.

Review: Kirsty

Wow.. this book was absolutely nothing like what I normally read. I'm a fully fledged romance reader, but this book just spoke to me as soon as I read the blurb. I thought.. an alcoholic 17 year old, how common is this? Probably more so than we realise. I had to read it.

"I'm a different person when I'm drinking. Sounds mad, 
because it clearly is me, but it’s not me. I want to stop. 
I want to be able to just drink normally and have fun."

What an absolutely brilliant book it was. Shappi Khorsandihas created one of the most incredible characters I have ever read about. Poor Nina.. literally she has had the most awful of times in her life, and it's absolutely no surprise that she ends up turning to drink, like she does. It is one disaster after the other, and the whole time all I wanted to do was give the poor girl a hug and save her from herself.

"I was upside down, inside out and back to front. 
I was myself, just the worst 'version' of myself."

Everything that the author was talking about, was so realistic. Nothing felt forced or fake. Every situation could have easily been happening to a 17 year old girl, somewhere out there. It brought home how freaking tough it is for teens in this day and age. 

I have never heard of this author, let alone read any of their work, but this book certainly can't be passed by. I thought it was brilliant.

I rated "Nina is Not Ok" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment