Wednesday 25 April 2018

Review: Kate Stewart's "Drive."

Amazon.com:   https://amzn.to/2HxzEmS
Amazon UK:    https://amzn.to/2HeoDaV

Synopsis:

Music . . . the heart’s greatest librarian.

The average song is three and a half minutes long; those three and a half minutes could lead to a slow blink, a glimpse of the past, or catapult the soul into heart-shattering nostalgia.

At the height of my career, I had the life I wanted, the life I’d always envisioned. I’d found my tempo, my rhythm. Then I received a phone call that left me off key.

You see, my favorite songs had a way of playing simultaneously. I was in love with one man’s beats and another’s lyrics. But when it came to the soundtrack of a life, how could anyone choose a favorite song? So, to erase any doubt, I ditched my first-class ticket and decided to take a drive, fixed on the rearview.

Two days.

One playlist.

And the long road home to the man who was waiting for me.

Review: Surj 

I've picked up this book and put it back down again so many times but when I finally got into my groove and gave it a shot, I found that I really enjoyed it. It didn't blow my mind like many other readers but still, it had me hooked from the minute I got to a certain part and then.... well then I just wanted to cheat so badly and go right to the last page to see how it all ended!!!! Don't worry, I didn't though. Instead I put myself through the agony of reading this torturous, heart breaking love story that almost brought me to my knees. 

“One minute past desperation,” I whispered. 
“You have to wait one minute past desperation, Reid. That’s when it happens."

"Drive" took me back a few years to when I first started reading again in that it reminded me of a couple of books that I'd absolutely loved. Think Samantha Towle's "The Mighty Storm" and SC Stephens "Thoughtless" and possibly even a bit of "Carnage" by Lesley Jones thrown in there. Think tortured musician. The ones that are trouble but also troubled in the same breath. The ones that are possibly beyond saving but you want to give it your best shot anyway. The ones you know will damn near break your heart and trample on it. The ones you momma warned you about. You know the sort. Well think about how those books and those bad boys made you feel. So many of those feelings resurfaced when I read Stella's story. I agonised over the story line. I felt destroyed by the roads these characters often decided to travel. I found myself conflicted on so many occasions by what I wanted to happen. No one character was bad but there were times I wanted the good to be bad and the troubled  souls to be good. I was on a team and I wanted that team to win hence to desperate need to cheat and go to the end. 

Love doesn’t die, even when you stop feeding it. 
There is no expiration date on the ache of missing someone 
you shared your heart, life, and body with.

Kate Stewart did a stellar job in the way she decided to tell this story. The link to music was just perfect. We all have certain songs that take us back to certain times in our lives and this book used a soundtrack to do just that. It was unique and pretty bloomin' effective considering the story revolved around the music industry. 

This was my first introduction to Kate Stewart and I will be picking up more of her books that's for sure. This is definitely a book I would recommend, especially if you love a story that will leave you with palpitations and leave on the edge of your seat. I rated it ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I used to think I was cursed for having fallen in love with two men. 
But, in hindsight, I realized what a gift it was. 
They were my lovers, my teachers, my best friends, 
and I would love them both until I took my last breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment