Thursday 26 January 2017

Review: J.A. DaRouen's "Low Over High (Over Duet #1)."


Synopsis:

I fancy myself a purveyor of truth, a sifter of lies, a cutter of bullshit. It’s not a gift, but rather, all skill, honed to a razor’s edge after one too many trips down the rabbit hole.

Some may dismiss my talent as misplaced and misguided cynicism, but they’d be wrong. Cliches about hope and faith in mankind are concocted unicorn farts, an effort to keep the dreamers dreaming. Experiences don’t lie—people do.

While I’m not proud of the circumstances that led me to this way of thinking, I respect the journey. The road to enlightenment can be dark and foreboding, but the destination makes it all worthwhile.

But funny thing about the past—it’s a defiant child refusing to stay in time out. No matter how deeply buried, it can always pop up when least expected, and sink its fucking claws into the flesh of your heart. No, not my heart—I no longer have one. I foolishly gave it away years ago, but I still feel the ripping in my chest as I fist the crumpled note left on my porch.

I’ve avoided this day, ran from it, for the past eight years.
And still we meet again.

But to truly understand … to feel my dread and fear my future as I do, it’s important to know what happened in my past.

Or who…

My name is Marlo Rivers, and this is my story of corrupted love.

Review: Jo 

This was an instant one-click for me as I saw how good the reviews were and I am so glad that I snapped "Low Over High" up because I was not disappointed. This book truly lived up to the amazing feedback. My interest was piqued as soon as I met Marlo and I remained engrossed throughout every single chapter. I loved this first instalment in Low and Ever's story. 

"We all live in a world of bumps and bruises. 
No one lives on this earth for very long without collecting a few scars. 
That's the meat of all of us-what makes us who we are." 

Marlo was a strong, fiery and independent character. I instantly took to her fearless personality and loved how confident she appeared to be. There was no messing with this girl and I completely understood why. So, when Marlo met Ever, she wasn't going to be a girl that immediately fell at his feet. I knew from the moment the pair met, things were going to be interesting between them and I wasn't wrong. 

"Marlo is all the things I'm not, but everything I want to be. 
I can do this with her. I know I can, and I want it more than anything."

At the very beginning of Low and Ever's story, I was certain they were going to have a love-hate relationship. There was so much angst between the couple and I was fully prepared for the bumpy ride that I was given. However, when things were going right between Low and Ever, my heart was filled with joy. I absolutely loved the way Ever cared for Low and during those tender moments, I truly felt as though everything would work out and they would find a HEA together. What started out as a little turbulent soon transformed into something that was beautiful, I just hoped that it would last. 

"I just want to be with you, Low. Doesn't matter if we're sitting together, 
fully clothed in the cafeteria, or if we're buck naked in bed." 

This was my first book from J.A. Darouen and I very much doubt it will be my last. It was brilliantly written with POV's from both characters, which is my favourite way to read a story. This author has managed to draw me in with this gorgeous tale of love and trust and I cannot wait to get started on the conclusion to Low and Ever's duet. Please let it end happily! 

"...with the choice of every girl in the world, I'd still choose you. Always." 

"Low Over High" gets 4.5 hearts from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment