Tuesday 28 June 2016

Review: Tiffany Reisz's The Bourbon Thief."


Synopsis

When Cooper McQueen wakes up from a night with a beautiful stranger, it's to discover he's been robbed. The only item stolen—a million-dollar bottle of bourbon. The thief, a mysterious woman named Paris, claims the bottle is rightfully hers. After all, the label itself says it's property of the Maddox family who owned and operated Red Thread Bourbon distillery since the last days of the Civil War until the company went out of business for reasons no one knows… No one except Paris. 

In the small hours of a Louisville morning, Paris unspools the lurid tale of Tamara Maddox, heiress to the distillery that became an empire. But the family tree is rooted in tainted soil and has borne rotten fruit. Theirs is a legacy of wealth and power, but also of lies, secrets and sins of omission. The Maddoxes have bourbon in their blood—and blood in their bourbon. Why Paris wants the bottle of Red Thread remains a secret until the truth of her identity is at last revealed, and the century-old vengeance Tamara vowed against her family can finally be completed.

Review-Jo 

I really didn't know what to expect from this one. As a huge fan of Tiffany Reisz's previous work, I was excited to start "The Bourbon Thief." Because I knew that it was going to be completely different from the books I usually read, I wondered if I would enjoy it, but it turned out that I was worrying over nothing. I was riveted by this story from the very beginning . The tangled web of secrets held me captivated and I was unable to put my kindle down in some parts.

This novel is a tale of revenge, greed and a whole lot of deceit. The Maddox family were the owners of a legendary bourbon distillery therefore they were rich and powerful, but they were also extremely messed up. With so many twists and turns, I was gripped by their story. Tiffany threw in so many surprises along the way, some that made me gasp. The Maddox family sure did have a deranged life! Lol. 

"We tell ourselves lies to survive when we know the truth will kill us." 

As always with Tiffany Reisz, the writing was superb. I absolutely loved being transported back through the years to discover the history of not only the Maddox family but also the history of America's deep south. I was fascinated by the tales from the past. It was obvious that Tiffany had done her research well. I was completely absorbed in the story and invested in the characters, especially Tamara. Tamara and Levi were the only characters that I truly liked and I was rooting for them throughout, hoping that Tamara would find her way out of the awful family that she had been born into. Her story truly captured my attention and I even found myself with tears in my eyes through one particular part of the book. 

"Perfection was for heaven, and when you tried to bring perfection to earth, 
you paid a heavy price." 


If you are looking for a mesmerising read that is fresh and exciting, I would highly recommend picking this one up. 

"The Bourbon Thief" gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️  from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment