Friday 24 June 2016

Review: JA Huss's "Guns (A Rook & Ronin Spin Off)."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1U808fy
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1S1j1tf  

Synopsis:

Spencer Shrike is a man with a plan. Get in. Get out. Move on. He loves Ron the Bomb, and her safety is the only thing on his mind these days. But life is a tricky bastard, and conning criminals for the better part of ten years brings its own set of problems. Sure, Rook lied her way out of a sticky situation, covering for crimes Ronin, Ford, and Spencer committed, and getting them all off scot-free in the process. 

But not everyone is buying Rook’s story, and Spencer is desperate to figure out who’s in town setting them up for a fall.

Veronica the Bombshell Vaughn has put up with Spencer Shrike’s shit for years and where has it gotten her? A big fat nowhere. No ring, no house, no kids, and no promises. In fact, Spencer is worse than ever—completely distant and moody. She’s done sitting at home, pining over a man she can’t have. 

But she’s not opposed to fighting for him. 

Ron the Bomb fights hard and she fights dirty, so she’s willing to do whatever it takes to get Spencer’s attention.

But now there’s another man in town with his eye on her. He’s got secrets too, but unlike Spencer, Bobby Mansi is more than willing to let Veronica in on them. 

The entire Rook and Ronin series comes full circle. Every con, every lie, and every skeleton in the closet is back for one final shot at vengeance and the only way to set it right… is to get out the guns.

Review: Surj 

How do I even go into reviewing "Guns" without getting a little emotional? Not only did this author give me Spencer Shrike's story (which was brilliant by the way) but she also gave me an explosive, amazing, perfect ending to what has got to be one of my all time favourite series ever.... FACT!!! I loved the way Spencer's story linked so perfectly with tying up all the loose ends from all the previous "Rook & Ronin" books. Just when you thought things couldn't get any more crazy for the characters I'd grown to know and love in this series, the past came back with a vengeance, throwing everyone's lives into turmoil. No one was safe and with the best will in the world, no one would go unscathed. Get your big knickers ready with this one ladies because you are in for one hell of a bumpy ride. 

"Veronica, I am the motherfucking boss."
Say it back to me, Bombshell. Who's the motherfucking boss?
Say it, Bomb. Or I'll take you right here in the alley and prove it."

Despite the sub plots that provided the mystery, suspense and drama llama and despite all of the characters featuring pretty heavily in "Guns," Ronnie and Spencer's story still felt like it had centre stage and no, for me it didn't feel like the couple's journey to finding their HEA was overshadowed by everything else that was going on. If anything, the two interconnected stories worked so synergistically together that I'm not sure one would have worked as well without the other. 

“The first rule of Shrike Club is never talk about Shrike Club."

I loved Ronnie's character in this book. From her feistiness, strength and courage to her vulnerability, sense of despair and and almost fragility, she really did turn my opinion of her on it's head. My heart truly went out to her because she was desperate to be with Spencer but was tired of what seemed to be his "having his cake and eating it" as and when he wanted it. Equally, she was tired of her family treating her in part as one of the boys but equally not giving her the independence she desperately wanted. She wanted out from all of it and I completely got it. 

"Shh. Don't cry, Ronnie. Just tell me what we like, 
so I can remember. Because I lost my way, baby." 

And then there's Spencer who by all accounts again was not who I thought he was. Everything he did had a reason behind it and I loved that reason. It still didn't make it any easier for Ronnie because when these two were together, what they shared was magic. It was hot, intense and beautiful. The kind of stuff that gives you butterflies in your belly. Unfortunately it was turned on and off at the drop of a hat by Mr Shrike!! Lucky me because I got it. I got why. I got him. 

Then there was the gang and the twists and turns that all came to a head in this final instalment of the series. Wow, just wow. I loved seeing all the characters and seeing where their lives had taken them. Unfortunately it was each of their actions from the past that would come and bite them on the ass. And then of course there was that biggie towards the end that had me like "WTF???" 

If you have loved this series as much as I have, then you will definitely love this epic finale to the complete story. Plus we got two epilogues!!!! Yup two and each one was just magnificent. 

"You will never forget this day, Veronica Vaughn, for the rest of your life, whenever 
someone asks you what the best day of your life was, this will be in your top three." 
"What about the other two?" I ask.
"We haven't made those memories yet, Bomb. But we will." 

Another ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ for "Guns." How could it not be!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment