Wednesday 1 June 2016

Review: JA Huss's "Taut (A Rook & Ronin Spinoff Novel)."

Amazon.UK:      http://amzn.to/1XzRxlm
Amazon com:     http://amzn.to/1rTVUMb

Synopsis:

Ford Aston is known for many things. Being an emotionless, messed up bastard, a freakishly smart social outcast, and a cold, domineering master who keeps "pets" instead of girlfriends.

And after Rook broke his heart, he plans to keep it that way.

Ashleigh is known for nothing, and that's exactly what she's got going for her. She's broke, stranded in the mountains with a three month old baby, and Ford Aston is screwing with her head.

Big. Time.

And she plans to mess with his right back.

It's a coy game at first, filled with flirting, and innuendo--but Ford soon realizes something is not quite right with Ashleigh. In fact, something is seriously, seriously wrong and the closer they get to their final destination, the closer Ford gets to the truth.

One night of devastation, self-loathing, and emptiness turns into the best thing that ever happened to Ford Aston. But one day of in-your-face reality threatens Ashleigh's whole existence.

Review: Surj 

Aww Ford Aston... my gut told me he really would give Ronin a run for his money in the book boyfriend department and I wasn't wrong. OMG this book... this man... his journey... holy crap, he really did take my breath away. Every single thing about his story had my heart racing and my stomach doing all kinds of crazy, that's how much his character affected me. And let's be honest ladies, how could one not be affected, right? I was introduced to Ford Aston during the second book in the "Rook & Ronin Series and I was immediately intrigued by his character. By the time I finished the third book in the series, my curiosity and intrigue had hit an all time high and I wanted to know everything about him (including his inside leg measurement which I would of course obtain myself .. wink wink)!! But it was the epilogue that concluded Rook and Ronin's story that sealed the deal and it was at that moment I knew, Ford Aston has very quietly stolen my heart. There was no denying it, it was 100% his and I didn't want it back. 

"I'm certain no one has ever called me nice before. I'm a dick. Asshole. 
Emotionless freak is what most sexual partners end up call me.But never nice. 
I think I've given you the wrong impression Ashleigh. "

"No Ford. I think you're trying to make the world believe you're something you're not." 

By the time JA Huss had finished teasing me with Ford's novella "Slack," I was like a crazy stalker woman. I wanted more, needed more even and so I shut the world out and submerged myself into "Taut," Ford's full length novel. Did I love it? How could I not. In fact it really is up there with my all time favourite books. It had everything. The storyline was so perfect for Ford and it was one that would challenge him on every level. Ford was a loner. He didn't really like people and absolutely made no effort to connect with them. He was socially awkward, kinda emotionless (his words not mine) and had a way about him that made some keep their distance. Ford made a point of calling himself weird, a bit of a freak but the reality couldn't have been further from that. To me, he was just perfect and beautiful. He just didn't see it or didn't want to. The question was, why? 

"When my life is unraveling, and everything about it is slack, 
my poems are taut. My poems take the fray and wind it back together."

"Taut" really was a journey of self discovery for Ford. It saw so many of his thoughts and behaviours challenged. It saw old wounds opened. It saw many a secret exposed but ultimately, it saw this man find an inner peace he hadn't felt for a long time. This was a journey Ford needed to take. It was a journey that would see him go from confident, dominant and controlled to vulnerable, exposed and almost fragile. There was scenes that made my heart hurt. There were scenes that made me jump for joy and fist pump the air and then there were those scenes.. well we got a hint of what Ford could be like in the bedroom from his pets. He liked the kinkier things in life... well this book really did enlighten me to his tastes and holy moly, those parts were hot!!! 

"God never sent me to save you... he sent you to save me."

So who was Ford's partner in crime through all of this? Who was the woman who challenged, defied and rebelled against almost every one of Ford's thoughts, actions, behaviours and requests? None other than Ashleigh Li of course. I absolutely loved Ashleigh's character and just wanted to squeeze her for opening Ford's eyes to the beautiful man he was. I loved her strength, confidence and independence. She was a survivor in every sense of the word and I couldn't help but be in awe of her. But Ashleigh had her own baggage and it was this that gave her a vulnerable side that just made me want to wrap her up in cotton wool. I kinda guessed one of her secrets which was heart breaking but for me, it was more about what Ford's reaction would be to this than the actual secret itself. 

“And I’m not a worthless person. Maybe I’ve got a lot of problems and pretty
much everything is going wrong for me right now, but I’m not worthless.”

I loved the connection between Ashleigh and Ford. It wasn't instant lust or love in my eyes (or it didn't feel that way anyhow). They just couldn't have been more perfect for one another. It was almost like fate had put them in one another's path and in my heart of hearts I knew and felt that they would be the glue that would hold the other one together. 

This was such a beautiful, heart felt story. The writing was brilliant and Ford's voice sounded so real and so believable for the character that had well and truly stolen my heart. I loved the crazy but brilliant ending to his story with Ashleigh and I'm gutted it's over. I could read about Ford all day and never get bored. 

“I love you…I want you…I want this. I want to sleep with you 
every night and give you everything you want. I’m in. ”

"Taut" gets nothing short of ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ "I'm In" hearts from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment