Wednesday 4 May 2016

Review: JA Huss's "Tragic (Rook & Ronin #1)."

Amazon.com:     http://amzn.to/1N83o85
Amazon UK:      http://amzn.to/1Dk8nx8

Synopsis:

Rook Walsh is TRAGIC

Because life so far – just sucks. Some girls get parents. Rook got the foster care system. Some girls get Prince Charming. Rook got an abusive frog. Some girls get lucky…

Rook got a second chance.

And she took it. Because when fate throws you a bone – you grab it with both hands and run.

Antoine Chaput knows the minute he spies Rook in his photography studio that she’s got The Look. The dark and desperate look he must have to land the exclusive TRAGIC media contract.

Rook is paired up with top model, Ronin, and he’s everything her abusive ex-boyfriend wasn’t. Patient, gentle, happy, attentive, and sexy! He knows exactly what to do to make Rook blush for Antoine’s camera. 

Rook’s luck changes in an instant and suddenly she’s the darling of the modeling world. It’s a dream job to go with a dream guy and all she has to do is look pretty and follow directions. But there’s always a price to pay – and Rook is about to get the bill.

Review: Surj 

I've only read a couple of books by this author but have loved both of them. They were different. Unconventional. They challenged my morals and my thought processes and they definitely blurred the lines between right and wrong. But it was all of those things that had me so engrossed. I couldn't help but go on the joy ride each of those books took me on because the buzz I got was immense. I should have felt a little uncomfortable but I didn't. I should had had many a "WTF" moments but the stories were written in such a way and with characters I couldn't help but love, that I was captivated , thrilled and excited by what unfolded. This is exactly how I felt about "Tragic." I loved this first instalment in Rook and Ronin's journey. It was all of those things I've just mentioned and so much more. In fact I read the book in a matter of hours I was so addicted and so curious too. 

If there is one thing in life i can count on, is that eventually, 
no matter how freaking nice that rug is under your feet, 
someone always pulls it out from under you eventually.

"Tragic" wasn't just a love story and that became apparent very early on. It was about the individual journey's each character was on too. Rook was a girl with a tragic past who got a lucky break. Was it fate? Destiny? Who cares, she was going to embrace the opportunity with open arms because it was a means to an end in reaching her goal. Rook's character was brilliant. She was young but she old beyond her years in some respects, having endured so much hardship and suffering. But Rook never once came across as a victim. She never once summoned the pity party but instead came across as a survivor. The past was the past and she had a future to look forward to, and with her new job, it seemed a bright future was within touching distance. I applauded Rook's bravery and independence. Not many would have the strength and courage she displayed having lived the life she had. 

Beauty is fleeting. I know someone important said that, 
but I have no idea who it was. I just know it’s true. So I’m gonna grab 
this second chance with everything I’ve got and I’m gonna ride this 
wave until it spits me back out on the beach of bullshit.

But equally, I loved that she still had a youthfulness, a vulnerability which came through every now and again. She was only nineteen after all and despite the whole "I can do this by myself" attitude, she still made mistakes as most teenagers do. She still threw her dummy out of the pram when she felt pushed into a corner or felt her control was slipping and she was still as defiant as hell. Unfortunately it was this that would lead to a few sticky situations.. lol.

And Ronin, OMG did that man make me swoon. I loved his cocky, playful side but equally, he had a serious side, some of which was shrouded in mystery. Why did he do some of the things he did? What was the rhyme and reason behind his actions? Why were people throwing warning signals about him left, right and centre when all I saw was a man who was trying to protect a girl he barely knew and support her in the decisions she was making? I didn't get it and there were times I found myself questioning his feelings for Rook. OK, that's probably not the right word because you could tell right from the start that this was the beginning of something. It was just little things other characters said that made me wonder whether he would eventually hurt Rook. Maybe not intentionally but he was a man with secrets too and would it be the uncovering of these that would lead to the couple's downfall? 

"Ronin Flynn, you might undo me."
"I'm already undone, Gidge. I'm just hoping you'll stick 
around long enough to put me back together."

If you're looking for some spine tingling, toe curling, thigh clenching steamy scenes, then this book is bursting with them. In real life, you would definitely think some of what you read was wrong but in the fictional world, this stuff was so very freakin' right!!! The chemistry between Rook and Ronin was off the charts HOT and I loved reading those scenes, especially the photo shoot ones. 

"It was better than fantasy Rook. I just wanted you to know that."

I was introduced to a number of characters in "Tragic," all of whom played pivotal roles in how this story unravelled. I cannot wait to get to know them better, especially Spencer. I'd let him paint me naked any day!!! 

Although "Tragic" didn't end in a cliffy, it didn't end in a conventional HEA either. However, the ending we got was right for the characters and the story. I can't wait to dive in to the next book in the series "Manic" and explore a number of sub plots that were introduced in this book. Luckily the boxed set means I can dive right in. 

I rated "Tragic" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment