Friday 15 April 2016

Review: Tillie Cole's "A Thousand Boy Kisses."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1S2A9C5
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/22eZTj8

Synopsis:

One kiss lasts a moment.
But a thousand kisses can last a lifetime.

One boy.
One girl.
A bond that is forged in an instant and cherished for a decade.
A bond that neither time nor distance can break.
A bond that will last forever.
Or so they believe.
When seventeen-year-old Rune Kristiansen returns from his native Norway to the sleepy town of Blossom Grove, Georgia, where he befriended Poppy Litchfield as a child, he has just one thing on his mind. Why did the girl who was one half of his soul, who promised to wait faithfully for his return, cut him off without a word of explanation?
Rune’s heart was broken two years ago when Poppy fell silent. When he discovers the truth, he finds that the greatest heartache is yet to come.

Review: Surj 

Two years ago, I picked up my first Tillie Cole book and although I absolutely loved the MC story and its originality, there were certain aspects of the story I just couldn't connect with and as such, I kinda shelved this author. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that maybe her writing wasn't for me. Yes, okay so I got it wrong, so horribly wrong because I have just finished "One Thousand Boy Kisses" and I'm blown away by what I've just read. This book sunk its claws into me at 9am and despite work getting in the way, I finished it in one day. How could I not. The story that unfolded before me wrapped itself around my heart almost immediately and it was not letting go until the last word had been read. This is one of those books that will play on my mind for a long time. It is one of those books where I will think about the characters and their journey often. And I would go so far as to say, it is up there with my all time favourite reads. Like I said, I really did get it so very wrong. 

Kiss eight hundred and nineteen was the kiss that changed it all. 
The kiss that proved that a long-haired brooding boy from Norway 
and a quirky girl from the Deep South could find a love to rival the greats.

Without going into the plot in any great detail, "A Thousand Boy Kisses" told the story of Poppy and Rune, two characters who stole my heart from the very start. The bond that formed from the minute these two met as 5 year olds would span years and would see a beautiful friendship develop into so much more. The connection the couple shared ran so deep that even time apart could not separate them. This was a story that saw Rune and Poppy navigate their way through life both as individuals and as a couple. It saw them face challenge after challenge, hurdle after hurdle. It saw them face adversity and hardship and it saw fate deal a card that made my heart quite literally bottom out. But equally, it saw this couple grab ahold of life and embrace all it had to offer. It saw Rune and Poppy go on wonderful adventures and it saw them make dreams come true.

"Maybe we’re like the cherry blossom, Rune. Maybe we loved too 
much too young and burned so bright that we had to fade out." 

I can't even begin to explain the wealth of emotions that overwhelmed me whilst reading Poppy and Rune's story. This was an epic love story to rival the best of them. It gave me that warm, fuzzy feeling that made my heart feel like it could burst at any time it felt so full. But despite this, the tears still came. This is the first book that has ever had me crying for (probably) around 70% of it. Once the damn burst, there was no stopping the flow of water. I cried from a heart that hurt so badly and I cried from a heart overflowing with happiness. And on top of that, I cried through a mixture of emotions where sadness morphed into joy and then of course the very attractive snot bubble hiccoughs took over. 

"I thought I'd destroyed us."
"I thought you'd regretted us."

To say I was drained by the end is an understatement but it was so worth it. Every page, every sentence, every word consumed me and made me feel. Every page, every sentence, every word connected me to Rune and Poppy at such a deep, visceral level that I don't think I'll ever forget them and the journey they traveled. Add to that the enchanting setting of Blossom Grove, and I really was swept away by this story. I could picture the grove, the houses next to each other, the beautiful blossom and even the beach, each place really adding something quite magical to "One Thousand Boy Kisses." 

"One Thousand Boy Kisses" was a book full of cherished moments and memories and the idea of the jar really did add something quite special to the whole story. Rune and Poppy's journey was one that was raw and beautiful, brave and inspirational and definitely thought provoking. I doubt my heart will ever fully recover from this one. I'm so glad I gave this author another go. 

Poppymin. Rune's perfect name for me. My Poppy. 
His girl. For infinity. Forever always. 

"A Thousand Boy Kisses" gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment