Tuesday 16 February 2016

Review: Teresa Mummert's "Pretty little things."

Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/1RmMmTn
Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/1nVYqPM

Synopsis:

I was young enough not to understand that my life was different. Colin became the one person that I could count on to protect me. He suffered for the both of us by carrying the burden of our secret. 

We were the lucky few that got a chance to start over. A fake family, a new home and a pretty little life built on lies. But while our lives continued to intertwine, we were put on very different paths. Now it was only a matter of time before they collide and the beast behind the beauty is exposed.

Review: Surj

I really had high hopes for Teresa Mummert's "pretty Little Things," especially with the vague yet intriguing synopsis but for me, this one really fell short. Looking back, the premise of the plot was fantastic and the characters definitely piqued my interest. Equally, the air of mystery and suspense that slapped me in the face very early on and this had the makings of something quite spectacular. 

So what went wrong? For me, the length of the book really let the story and the characters down. "Pretty little things"  was a short read, in fact you could probably finish it in an afternoon. On top of that, it was really fast paced which meant for me, I just didn't get the little intricate  detail I craved right the way through. I needed more... so much more. More information on the background of these characters, their past relationship instead of what seemed like brief flashbacks. I wanted to feel the depth of the connection this couple had shared way back when and the point at which Colin had gone from someone that was kind and caring to someone that had turned into a class A jack ass. 

In terms of the present, I felt the sexual tension between this couple. That couldn't be denied but what I wanted when I got inside their heads was the emotional struggle each of them faced when being forced apart and having to keep their emotions in tact. I just didn't feel the "love" they supposedly had for one another. He slept around but still found it in him to control and dominate Annie and Annie, well Annie backed down at every turn. I wanted her to keep up with her stubbornness and her fighting spirit. Instead, every time Colin was a bastard to her, every time he was mean, she just bowed down and took it. I know it was supposed to show her need to be submissive but there are ways and there are ways... this was not the way for me. 

All in all, I guess I just needed more depth to "Pretty Little Things" and more character development and in terms of both of those elements, this book fell short. 

I rated "Pretty Little Things" ❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment