Thursday 11 February 2016

Review: Tara Brown's "The Lonely (The Lonely #1)."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1SzQ91e
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/20fVauP

Synopsis:

The truth is subjective to what the lonely lets in. 

Emalyn Spicer has lived with it for a long time. She thinks it goes back further than her memories do. She knows it goes back further than the OCD.

When she arrives at college, her OCD's and the lonely refuse to let her have her wish to be normal. 

When she meets Sebastian and starts to fall for him, she lets herself believe it's possible to outrun the things chasing her from the past. But how to you get away from the things inside of you? How do you run from yourself?

Just as she gives up and succumbs to the lonely, the unthinkable happens. She finds herself once again trapped in the dark, once again held against her will.

This time she meets the lonely head on. In the darkest corners of her mind, she discovers there is more to her world than she ever imagined. She discovers that the lonely was there for her, protecting her from herself and her secrets.

How far would you go to find yourself?

This is a dark and captivating novel, tread lightly

Review: Surj

Tara Brown's "The Lonely" is one of only a hand full of books that have left me at odds with myself in terms of how I feel about the story that unraveled before me. Sure there were bits that had me glued to the pages, but equally there some pretty left field moments too that resulted in a whole lot of confusion which had me going back and making sure I hadn't missed anything. Yup, this was quite the addictive yet crazy read that I can't decide if I loved, liked or simply tolerated so that I could get to the end and find out what all the random bizarreness was all about.

They don’t really know him, not the dark and scary parts, but then again 
they don’t know those places in me. Only he does. Only he has seen the 
darkness. Only he embraces the darkness inside of me and turns it into love and light.

For me, "The Lonely" was a book of two halves. The first half I absolutely loved even though the first few pages had me thinking I'd walked into some parallel book universe. It was like Emalyn's story had started without me and with all these characters making an appearance and very obviously already a part of some bigger picture, I felt a little lost and very late to a party that appeared to be in full swing. Fear not though because the more I read, the more I got used to this and found myself desperately trying to connect the dots. I needed to find out more about these people. Who were they? What role did they play? What was their relationship to the other characters? How had they all met? Why were they in each other's lives? What was their motive? What were they hiding? See, so many questions that needing answering and my inquisitive nature meant I wouldn't not be putting this book down until I had all the answers. 

The dark is a quiet place. Reflection and contemplation are the only things to do in it. 
Well that, and imagine the worst things possible. I don’t have to reflect or contemplate 
or any of those things. I know what the worst things possible are. 
I know about the things that hide in the dark. Insanity is the least of them.

The second half of the book for me was a little bit of a let down. With a lot of stuff out in the open, this was more a journey of self discovery. It was about learning to let go of the past and embracing the  future. It was ok but I did find myself rolling my eyes a few times and equally wondering whether the main character would do some of the things she did. As for Emalyn's benefactor.. Uncle Daddy weirdo.. his character definitely intrigued me. He was dark and mysterious and I couldn't wait to find out more about him. Let's just say he was as f**ked up as Emalyn which meant this definitely made for car crash reading. 

The premise for "The Lonely" was a good one but I guess for me, some of the execution was a little random and as a result, parts of the story was a little disjointed. This story is dark and it is twisted. The sex scenes are hot, heavy and definitely on the erotic side and the author does touch on many a sensitive subject matter so you have been warned. 

He smiles and the world is okay. It feels like it grew a tiny bit. 
Like I let him into the small corner where I live.

All in all, I'm still struggling to work out how I felt about this book. Would I recommend it? I think I would just to get someone else's perspective. 

I rated "The Lonely" ❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment