Wednesday 26 August 2015

Review: Rachel Van Dyken's "Capture (Seaside Pictures #1)."

Review: Rachel Van Dyken's "Capture (Seaside Pictures #1)." 


Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/1KHRwlo

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1K7GDNQ

Synopsis:

Losing your ability to speak at the age of seventeen; it’s not normal or fair.
But trauma, has a way of throwing normality out the window.

Dani lives anything but a normal life.
Her sister is married to one of the biggest names in Hollywood.
Her best friends are rockstar duo AD2.
And she has more love around her than most people experience in a lifetime.
But that doesn't change the fact their parents are dead.
Or that it's her fault.

It seems her new normal is being a mute, living on the inside, unable to actually communicate on the outside.
That is until Hollywood’s newest heartthrob Lincoln Greene hires her as his assistant for the summer.
He's gorgeous, completely unavailable, and unobtainable.
But that doesn't stop her from wondering...if things were different...would he want her?
If she was whole, would he be the other half?

Review: Surj 

Rachel Van Dyken's "Capture" was a book I absolutely loved the sound of. The story line sounded completely original and and with Hollywood's newest heart throb involved, I could't wait to get stuck in. Unfortunately, very early on, I started to feel out of sorts with what I was reading. Part of this was my fault. I had no idea this was a companion novel to the "Seaside Series" so I almost felt like a bit of an outsider as various characters were introduced to me. Their stories had been told and so it was like I was late to a party that was in full swing. Maybe I should have done my research a bit better but I guess the cover did say it was book #1 and the synopsis on Goodreads didn't mention anything about another series. Could this be read as a standalone? Not for me. I wanted to know more about the other characters and their stories... how they had got to the point they were at. I guess curiosity got the better of me and it just would not go away so I this did spoil my enjoyment of the book somewhat. 

In terms of the actual story line itself, there were bits I loved, bits I enjoyed but equally bits that left me skimming the pages. This was a slow burner of a read with the relationship between Lincoln and Dani progressing at snail's pace. I needed a little bit more than a look here and there. I know there were other factors that hindered the relationship that of course I needed to consider but I wanted more... needed it even. 

The cat and mouse game between Dani and Lincoln was definitely entertaining at times and the banter they shared whether verbally or through text messages absolutely put a smile on my face.  It was after the half way mark that things started heating up and the story really got some meat behind it... just what I wanted. 

Lincoln's character was one I loved. His inner struggle with his feelings was clearly evident and I could really sense that he wanted to try and do the right thing, even if that seemed to land him in trouble with the other characters. He was one of the guys who had a heart of gold and I for one was a huge fan. Dani's characters however left me frustrated. I struggled with her lack of talking. I understood the reason why she was mute but unfortunately I just didn't feel her despair, anger, hurt, confusion etc. It was like it had become the norm and she happily wrote notes to people telling them she was mute. Her wit, sarcasm and humour definitely kept me entertained at times but overall, she just didn't win me over. 

So overall, "Capture" was an OK read. I wish I'd read the previous series but alas it just wasn't meant to be. I rated this book ❤️❤️❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment