Wednesday 29 July 2015

Review: Rachel Van Dyken's "Elect (Eagle Elite #2)."

Review: Rachel Van Dyken's "Elect (Eagle Elite #2)." 


Synopsis:

Would you die for the one you love?

Nixon Abandonato made his choice. And now he has to pay the price. Tracey is the love of his life, but being with him has made her a target of his family's enemies. The only way to keep Trace alive is convince the world she means nothing to him. 

Trace Rooks has fallen irrevocably in love with the son of her family's sworn rival, and she knows in her bones nothing can tear them apart. Until Nix suddenly pushes her away and into the arms of his best friend... But Trace isn't ready to give up on a future with Nix--and if he won't fight for them, she will. 

In the end, a sacrifice must be made. A life for a life. For what better way to cover a multitude of sins than with the blood of a sinner . . .

Review-Jo 

Do not read this book unless you have read "Elite (Eagle Elite #1)." This is a continuing story therefore "Elect" cannot be read as a standalone. 

Well, it was all going on in this story. Secrets were uncovered, lies were told, a love triangle began and it wouldn't be a Mafia story without a huge amount of violence. "Elect" began with a prologue that almost brought on a panic attack. I was then transported back in time to discover what had happened after "Elite" had finished. This book was mainly focused on Tracey and Nixon's continued relationship which in turn set off a whole heap of problems involving the Mafia families. As you can imagine this story was non-stop action and I was biting my nails throughout the majority of the story, wondering what was going to happen and at the same trying to make sense of what had happened in the prologue. I was feeling so worried for Nixon and Tracey's future. 

My life would never be safe. Our existence together would never be a for-sure thing. 
Death was my daily reality; it was my burden, not hers and not chase's. 
Maybe if I was a stronger man, I'd leave her. 

As well as all of the trouble that was going on, there was also the love triangle that was developing between Trace, Nixon and Chase. I was not at all surprised to see that this was happening. I suspected the story was heading this way after reading "Elite". Lucky Trace, two alpha Mafia men falling head over heels in love with her! Actually, Trace was anything but lucky with all of the drama that surrounded her. Things were getting more and more frightening as the story went on. Now, going back to the love triangle, I was a little angry with how Trace dealt with the two men, especially Chase. Trace appeared to be so sweet and innocent, but surely she wasn't so naive as to realise what she was doing and what her actions were doing to both Nixon and Chase. I felt so sorry for Chase, but at the same time I was also rooting for Nixon to get the girl. I was Team Nixon all of the way! 

"Just because you're blood doesn't mean I would hesitate to pull this trigger, 
my love for Tracey trumps my love for you-always." 

As this book was written from either Nixon, Chase or Phoenix's POV I felt that I got to know these characters really well. During the story a lot of the attention was on Pheonix so I discovered his true thoughts and feelings as I read about his past and how he came to make the decisions that he had made. I felt so sad with how his life had turned out and I found myself wishing that Phoenix would be given a happy ending. My heart truly went out to him. 

"Every human being needed something that, if the worst happened-would pull 
them through. And maybe that's why I was beginning to feel more terrified than 
anything-because I knew-I had nobody worth pulling for, and it hurt like hell."

I'm enjoying getting to know the many members of the Mafia family as the series progresses, although sometimes I had to stop and think who was related to who! LOL. I am a big fan of Mafia books so I am definitely going to continue with this series. Now that I have been introduced to so many characters, I want to know what the future holds for each and every one of them. 

"Elect (Eagle Elite #2)" gets  ❤️❤️❤️❤️  from me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment