Wednesday 17 June 2015

Review: Lilah Pace's "Asking for it."

Review: Lilah Pace's "Asking for it."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1MZJO98
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1RBTFon

Synopsis:

“This is who I am. This is what I want. Now I need a man dangerous enough to give it to me.” 

Graduate student Vivienne Charles is afraid of her own desires—ashamed to admit that she fantasizes about being taken by force, by a man who will claim her completely and without mercy. When the magnetic, mysterious Jonah Marks learns her secret, he makes an offer that stuns her: they will remain near-strangers to each other, and meet in secret so that he can fulfill her fantasy.

Their arrangement is twisted. The sex is incredible. And—despite their attempts to stay apart—soon their emotions are bound together as tightly as the rope around Vivienne’s wrists. But the secrets in their pasts threaten to turn their affair even darker...

Reader Advisory: Asking for It deals explicitly with fantasies of non-consensual sex. Readers sensitive to portrayals of non-consensual sex should be advised.

Review: Kirsty Lander

This book was absolutely incredible.

"I don’t just fuck you...I bare my soul to you."

I like romance in a book, I want the HAE, so going in to this book I was fully prepared to have none of that. I wasn't expecting there to be feelings, or the potential for a relationship, but I was so wrong. This book is a love story with so much feeling and emotion. It was one of the best books I've read in a long, long time.

Vivienne is just an ordinary girl on the outside. She works, she studies, she goes out with friends.. but she's hiding a deep, dark secret. She has a fantasy that, up until she meets Jonah, has never been fulfilled. She dreams, fantasies and obsesses with the idea of being raped. In previous relationships, she's tried to overcome it, tried to forget it, but no matter what she can't get off on sex, unless she is fantasizing about being raped, in the most brutal of ways. 

The fantasy that dominates me – it’s sick, and it’s twisted, but it’s not going away. 
Fighting it hasn’t done any good. So I’m giving in. Surrendering.

When Vivienne meets Jonah, she doesn't expect anything to come of it. In fact, she is scared of Jonah.. but that only adds to the allure of him. Her fantasies now have a face.. Jonah. Jonah is hiding his own secrets, hiding his own fair share of pain, but their chance meeting leads to something kind of incredible. Could their fantasies merge, fit in with each other like the most perfect, fucked up puzzle? 

”It’s your fantasy, and mine. Chances like this don’t come along often – 
two people twisted in the exact same way.”

What Jonah and Vivienne embark on is the most dangerous, sexy but extremely thrilling relationship. They have few rules, which are completely set in stone, but other than that? Anything goes. I have to admit, I was a little bit concerned about the thought of reading sex scenes that were, for all intents and purposes, rape scenes. Could I handle reading that much? Well yes, I could, and very easily because the scenes were written beautifully. They weren't seedy, they weren't too horrifically graphic, they were written just perfectly. At points, I could literally be on the edge of my seat waiting for the next scene, the next move.. it was pretty damn exciting. I loved their relationship and from the very beginning I was rooting for them. No, they may not have had the most conventional relationships, they really hardly even knew each other, but anybody could tell they were made for each other. They compliment each other perfectly and despite their pasts, they work together so well. 

"You destroy me every time. Completely."

I'm sure I will be thinking of this book for a long time to come and those characters will stay with me. These days it's very rare for me to find a book that I enjoy this much, so I will be telling everybody I know to give it a go. It was just so beautifully written and I can not wait for the sequel.

I rated "Asking for It" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment