Monday 22 June 2015

Review: EL James' "Grey (Fifty Shades #4)."

Review: EL James' "Grey (Fifty Shades #4)."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1eLmYqd
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1AIKmyn

Synopsis:

See the world of Fifty Shades of Grey anew through the eyes of Christian Grey.

In Christian's own words, and through his thoughts, reflections, and dreams, E L James offers a fresh perspective on the love story that has enthralled millions of readers around the world.

Christian Grey exercises control in all things; his world is neat, disciplined, and utterly empty—until the day that Anastasia Steele falls into his office, in a tangle of shapely limbs and tumbling brown hair. He tries to forget her, but instead is swept up in a storm of emotion he cannot comprehend and cannot resist. Unlike any woman he has known before, shy, unworldly Ana seems to see right through him—past the business prodigy and the penthouse lifestyle to Christian’s cold, wounded heart. 

Will being with Ana dispel the horrors of his childhood that haunt Christian every night? Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsion to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?

Review: Kirsty

This book exceeded all my expectations, and it seems I'm in in the minority with that thinking. I've read review after review, comment after comment, with people complaining that Grey is just a re-write, or that E L James has just 'copy and pasted'.. um, for starters I disagree with that 100% and secondly, what the hell do people expect? Going in to this book, we all know that it is the same story we all know and love, in Christian's POV. Of course there is going to be the same storylines, the same dialogue, the same e-mails.. it can't change! I don't really know what people are complaining about. 

"She's too young. She's too inexperienced, but, damn, I like the feel of her hand in mine.

Despite reading other reviews stating that we don't get anything new in this book, I have to disagree, again. Maybe it's because it's been so long since I read the original series, or because I've only seen the film once, but I felt like there was plenty of new information in Grey. Things I wasn't aware of, or maybe forgotten. Whilst there was a lot of new things, I also felt like reading this was similar to the feeling of 'going home'. It was comforting reading this story and about these characters.

In the past, we've only had small snippets from Christian's POV and I've always been left wanting more. Having a whole book in his POV was a treat! Seeing Christian, a man who comes across as so confident and sure of himself, is actually very vulnerable and unsure of most of his actions. He is constantly questioning the way he acts and feels, wondering if he is doing the right thing. It was endearing. I easily fell in love with his character all over again, and a little bit more on top. 

She's my dream catcher. She keeps my nightmares at bay.

I even managed to love Ana a little more in this book. Like most people, reading all about her 'inner goddess' and such in her POV got irritating, so seeing her through Christian's eyes was so refreshing. Again, it was like getting to know a new person, but already being very familiar with them. 

I couldn't fault E L James writing if I tried. From start to finish she kept me glued to my kindle and when I wasn't reading all I was thinking about was the story and when I could get back to it. And for a long book (over 500 pages) I was able to read it in 3 days, something I haven't been able to do in months, thanks to a book funk. I loved everything about this book and I think it would be a real shame if there wasn't going to be the two sequels in his POV as well. I feel like there is so much more to Christian and we have only just scratched the surface.

I need to set her right on this. She cannot love a monster. 
She cannot love a fucked-up son of a bitch. She needs to go. 
She needs out- and in an instant, everything becomes crystal clear.

I rated "Grey" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment