Monday 27 April 2015

Review: Rachel Van Dyken's "The Bet."

Review: Rachel Van Dyken's "The Bet."

Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/1EPjqOH
Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/1Gb4ng1

Synopsis:

"I have a proposition for you." Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. It's been years since Kacey's seen her childhood friend Jake, but the minute Jake mentions his ill grandmother, Kacey is ready to do anything for the sweet old woman. And if that means pretending they're engaged for her sake-so be it.

But Kacey wasn't counting on Jake's older brother Travis still being there. She calls him "Satan" for a reason: she's never forgotten the way he teased and taunted her. Yet when they meet again, Travis's gorgeous smile is a direct hit to her heart . . . and Kacey's more confused than ever. As the days pass, only one thing starts to become alarmingly clear-she never should have accepted Jake's deal . . . 

Review: Surj

Have you ever read the synopsis of a book and thought you knew the direction the story would go in? Well, that was the case with Rachel Van Dyken's "The Bet." I was expecting a serious, angst filled, heart breaking read that centred around a love triangle. Holy cow did I get it wrong but in a really good way. In fact, Kacey, Jake and Travis's story couldn't have come at  a better time. I'd just read some pretty heavy books and this was just what the doctor ordered. "The Bet" was a romantic comedy that was cute, light hearted and very funny. This was the kind of book that you could kick your shoes off to, grab a glass of wine and lose yourself in for an afternoon. It was fab and just what I needed. 

"Where have you been all my life?"
"Home. I've been home, waiting for you." 

Although this was kind of a love triangle, it wasn't really (cryptic I know but it's difficult to explain without giving too much away). Once you get to know the characters, all will become clear. So if you're not a fan of those ugly three way push and pull relationships, don't fear because this is not one of those. There was no cheating and definitely no forbidden romance. Everything that happened between Jake, Kacey and Travis happened for a reason and as fate should play it, the right man got the girl in the end. Kacey's journey to finding her hero was brilliant. I don't think I've ever laughed so much reading a book. Everything that could go wrong for this trio, did. Every opportunity for getting a HEA was scuppered by someone or something. As truths from the past came to light I couldn't help but giggle. Oh what young boys do to try and get their girl... lol. 

He knew for a fact Kacey loved princess stories. She would talk about how girls are 
supposed to be treated like princesses, and boys are supposed to be princes.
But how was he supposed to be a prince when there were no dragons to slay? 
How could he prove himself when there were no monsters?
Good thing he was the smartest kid in his class. He knew just what to do. 
All he had to do was cause the trouble and then save her from it. 

The characters in "The Bet" were fab. OK so almost all of them. Travis was just so swoon worthy. He had his own ranch so in my head I'd already pitched him as a cowboy!!! He was a gentleman through and through. Kind, caring and considerate but definitely alpha which is always a plus in my book. Kacey was equally brilliant. She had a strength to her which I admired but there was also a vulnerability which was to be expected. After all, she had a history with the boys. Some of it good but some of it had definitely left it's mark on her and not in a good way. Coming back to her home town and seeing Jake and Travis wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. For the most part, it had reopened old wounds... wounds that had forced Kacey to up sticks and leave her home all those years ago. Which brings me on to Jake. Dear lord did that man test my patience. His arrogance and self centred attitude made me want to knock him down a peg or two. Egotistical is putting it mildly. I cannot wait to read his story. I have a feeling there's more to this man than meets the eye (I'm hoping anyway) and the woman that manages to capture his heart... boy oh boy will she have her work cut out!!!
“I’ll get hurt either way, Travis. 
Just depends on which brother I decide to give the opportunity to."
So I've talked about the three main characters but I cannot write this review without talking about Grandma. OMG everyone should have a grandma like her. She was hilarious with her meddling ways but I'm so glad she was the way she was because without her, the path to true love may never have been found. I loved her conniving ways. She really added something special to this story line. 
So all in all, a really good, chilled out, didn't get my knickers in a twist read. If you're looking for something that's going to go easy on the old heart strings, that won't leave you needing anti depressant or anxiety meds, that will leave your sides hurting from not only the situations the characters get themselves into but also the very witty, almost child like banter between them,  then I cannot recommend this enough. I rated "The Bet" ❤️❤️❤️❤️

“Because of you, Kace. Everything I do, 
everything I’ve done in my life, it’s all because of you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment