Wednesday 22 April 2015

Review: A. Meredith Walters "The Contradiction of Solitude."

Review: A. meredith Walters "The Contradiction of Solitude."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1EBqyNE
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1ze9Hdx

Synopsis:

You may notice me, but you will never know me.
I prefer it that way.
I am the daughter of a monster.
Born from blood and lies.
Dead before I have truly lived.
But Elian tells me that I'm different. 
He tells me that I'm beautiful.
That I'm an enigma wrapped in irresistibly complicated skin.
Elian says that he loves me.
These words terrify me.
I can't trust love.
Or hope.
Or truth.
Because I fear the beast inside.
It threatens to drown Elian and his sweet, unconditional love.
It's a beast that will destroy everything.

*This is a psychological thriller and very different than my previous books*

Review: Surj 

I'm a romance reader through and through. I say it loud and I say it proud. Other genres just don't do it for me. They don't give me that buzz. That sense of excitement. What can I say. It is what it is. But... now this is a massive BUT... When A Meredith Walters brought out "The Contradiction of Solitude"  last month, I felt a pull towards it. No it wasn't the fact that it was a 99c one click possibility... although that obviously helped... lol.  It was more the abundance of teasers she had given us pre launch. These teasers were different to what we're used to getting. They were kinda cryptic, a little bit twisted and very dark and I couldn't help but feel intrigued, my curiosity definitely getting the better of me. However with no synopsis and not even a cover to go by, I had to wait it out until the book was released.  So I finally got around to reading Layna and Elian's story and ... HOLY CRAPPETY CRAP. " My brain has been completely frazzled by what I just read. Wow. Just freakin' wow!!!! 

She was my lack of reason. My painful heart. She was my inevitable demise. 
Because of her, I would lose my soul. 

I'm used to this author giving me complicated characters. I'm even used to the unconventional story lines we get from her. Her books are bold, they are brave and they are unpredictable. But this... this was something else. "A Contradiction of Solitude" took my reading experience to a whole new level. It ripped me out of my comfort zone and threw me right in the middle of a psychological thriller. Have you ever seen "The Shining" or "The Silence of the Lambs" or even "Jacob's ladder?" Think about all the feelings and emotions you went through when you watched those films. The fear, the creepiness, the sense of foreboding. The chills that went down your spine. The goosebumps that spread over your body. Yup, I experienced all of that and so much more. 

He sucked the lies from my tongue like candy. 
Their seduction tasted sweet but shredded like razorblades when swallowed. 

I shouldn't have enjoyed this book. It wasn't a romance... not in the conventional sense of the word anyway but I just couldn't put the damn thing down. It was impossible to walk away from what was unfolding before me. I was confused. Then I wasn't. Then I started to work things out. Make the connections. Join the dots and that's when it hit me. This book was dark, really dark. It was completely fucked up and it was disturbing but I was getting a massive thrill out of reading it. I was addicted. I needed to know whether my theories were right. I needed to get to the end of Layna and Elian's story just to see how it all panned out. Fuck if I knew how it would all end,  the author keeping me guessing right up until the last couple of pages. My heart was in my mouth. My nerves in tatters. My emotions all over the place. What can I say other than A. Meredith Walters got me good and proper with this one. 

His mind was splintered. Cut into shards. Nothing holding them together anymore. 
He didn't yet see how far he had fallen. But he would. soon. 
I would be there to push him off the cliff. 

Dare I tell you about the storyline? Nah it's all based on secrets, lies and deception and I couldn't possibly spoil it for you. How about the characters? honestly, for the most part I struggled to work them out, each of them hiding so much. What I did know was that somehow, somewhere along the line there was a connection between Layna and Elian and when the characters worked out what that connection was, all hell would break loose. Yup, all hell broke loose and this story took an even darker, more sinister turn leaving me flipping the pages like a crazed woman desperate to work out what would happen next. 

I was a little girl lost. And he was desperately searching for me. 
He didn't realise that he should be terrified of finding what he was looking for. 

The writing in "The contradiction of solitude" was flawless. It was captivating. It was poetic. The words so powerful, it was difficult not to get sucked into the dark vortex that was Elian and Layna's journey. Their story was intriguing. it was addictive and it was so different to anything I've read before but I'm so glad I gave it a go. This was absolutely a ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ read for me... no question about it. Honestly, you need to experience this book for yourself. Take a chance.  Step outside your comfort zone and get ready to go on the mother of all crazy rides. Enjoy x

"You're broken Elian. But I'm broken too. 
Maybe together our pieces will make us whole."

No comments:

Post a Comment