Monday 6 April 2015

Review: K.I. Lynn's and N. Isabelle Blanco's "Need (Need #1)".

Review: K.I. Lynn's and  N. Isabelle Blanco's "Need (Need #1)". 


Synopsis:

Sometimes love happens at first sight, even when you’re at an age where you can’t comprehend what it means.

It was just a crush. They were only kids, after all. But what happens when that feeling never goes away? 

Brayden and Kira have been neighbors for years, and best friends since they met. They have a connection that is evident to many, and it’s haunted them their whole lives.

Teenage hormones rage, turning their friendship into something neither can handle. The attraction is carnal, all-consuming, and it seems like it’s only a matter of time before Brayden loses control. 

Everything slams to a halt when their single parents decide to get remarried . . . to each other. Bad decisions and broken friendships make living across the hall from the one person you want above all difficult. Luckily for Brayden, it’s only for a few months before he’s off to college in another state, leaving Kira to face high school alone.

Brayden tries to stay away, to forget her, but it’s an impossible task he fails at time and time again. Kira is morphing from a sexy teenager to an irresistible woman, one that knows what she wants and seems hell-bent on getting it.

As Kira’s eighteenth birthday approaches, Brayden has a decision to make. Does he keep running away from the thing he wants the most or does he run toward it? 

Is it possible to ever be happy without the one person you need?

Review-Jo Rushton 

As a huge fan of K.I. Lynn's "Breach" Series, I had high hopes for this one and I couldn't wait to read it. Unfortunately my expectations were not met and I have to be honest and say that "Need" left me feeling truly disappointed. It makes me so sad to write this but I have to go with how I feel and this book was not as good as I had hoped it to be. 

The story of Brayden and Kira started off well. I was given an insight to how the pair met as children and the memories that they each shared of each other. Brayden and Kira began to fall for each other from a young age and it appeared that things would work out for the couple as they reached their teenage years. Their feelings for each other had blossomed with time and it was clear that they both  wanted more than just friendship. 

She is my everything, and I'll do anything to make her mine forever.

That was until the two got the shock of their lives when Brayden's father announced that he was in love with Kira's mother and they were getting married. Brayden and Kira's plans to be together were suddenly torn apart as they were about to become step-siblings. What would the future hold now for the couple? How on earth would they be able to ignore their feelings for one another, especially as they would be living under the same roof!!! 

The one thing-one person-I want and they're going to make her my stepsister. My sister.

This is when I thought that the story would begin to hot up. I wanted intensity and excitement but instead I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated. Brayden and Kira spent the majority of the remaining time fighting their attraction towards each other. The older the pair got the more difficult this became and everyday was a battle to fight their sexual desires. The anguish between the pair grew with each new chapter and I wondered if Brayden and Kira would ever be able to follow their hearts rather than their heads. I found that this part of the story became too repetitive as Brayden and Kira continuously encountered the same problems time and time again and I struggled to read on. I was willing the book to pull me in and capture my attention. Sadly, I found myself becoming a little bored with how the pair were constantly going around in circles with no end in sight. 

There's no thought, only need. And I need her. All of her.

I am also sorry to say that I didn't really warm to the characters in this book. Brayden came across to be quite aggressive. Even when he was attempting to be all tender and loving towards Kira, I felt that he was being harsh. I know that he was an angst filled teenager throughout most of the story but disappointingly, Brayden just didn't appeal to me. He was not the kind of guy that would make me swoon, that's for sure! I did feel sorry for Kira. The way that Brayden treated her throughout most of the story was appalling but apart from that I had no other feelings towards her. I just couldn't connect with her. I felt no pull towards Brayden and Kira and as such I found it difficult for me to invest in them as a couple. 

He'll never be truly mine. I won't allow it; no matter what he does to my body, 
I don't want it. He'll only end up hurting me more.

Now, I know that this review sounds a little negative but I do want to say that things did improve as the story reached the last few chapters. Finally, things began to get a little more interesting and I wondered how this story would end. As this was the first book in the series I knew that some things would be left unresolved but by the time I had reached the last page I was left feeling disheartened and unfulfilled. I had struggled through the book only to reach the end with no sense of contentment. Luckily, for me there was a sneaky peak into "Take", book two of the series which peaked my interest a little however I can't help but feel that book two would just be a repeat of "Need" so I have come to the conclusion that this series is unfortunately not for me. 

I rated "Need" ❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment