Wednesday 5 November 2014

Review: Kim Holden's "Bright Side".

❤️❤️❤️❤️ Review: Kim Holden's "Bright Side".


Synopsis:

Secrets. 

Everyone has one. 

Some are bigger than others. 

And when secrets are revealed, 

Some will heal you ... 

And some will end you. 

Kate Sedgwick’s life has been anything but typical. She’s endured hardship and tragedy, but throughout it all she remains happy and optimistic (there’s a reason her best friend Gus calls her Bright Side). Kate is strong-willed, funny, smart, and musically gifted. She’s also never believed in love. So when Kate leaves San Diego to attend college in the small town of Grant, Minnesota, the last thing she expects is to fall in love with Keller Banks. 

They both feel it. 

But they each have a reason to fight it. 

They each have a secret. 

And when secrets are revealed, 

Some will heal you … 

And some will end you. 

Review-Jo Rushton

Wow! This story has left me completely and utterly emotionally drained. I'm an absolute wreck and well and truly broken. Be prepared for tears. Lots and lots of tears folks.. i balled like a baby.  

Bright Side followed the story of Kate as she moved away from her home town to attend college. This was the start of an exciting, new chapter in her life and she had so much to look forward to.  Kate was the most beautiful character. Everything about her was perfect. She was kind, caring, considerate, selfless... the list was endless. This girl had a such a big heart and so much love to share. She was also a girl that never let things get her down. Despite Kate not having the best of lives she was always so happy and positive about things, hence her nickname "Bright Side". 

"She's the poster girl for positivity. She's a freaking ray of sunshine. 
She doesn't just look on the bright side...she lives there." 

As Kate enjoyed her new life at college, she made a bunch of new friends, experienced a whole lot of fun and most importantly, met Keller Banks. 

When Kate and Keller met, there was a spark between them that they both recognised. However the problem was that both Kate and Keller were determined to keep their hearts guarded. Despite the pair getting on like a house on fire, friendship was the only option. But why? I just couldn't understand. 

"My life is reality. And in my reality people don't fall and get married and live happily ever after." 

I really liked Keller but I couldn't help but feel slightly suspicious of him. He was hiding something and I wanted to know what it was. I was also keen to know what his true feelings for Kate were. What were his intentions? Did he want more than friendship? Keller Banks was a bit of a mystery. My brain was working overtime trying to guess what would happen between Kate and Keller. 

"You're the most incredible woman I've ever met in my life. Why can't I love you? Why?"

Keller was not the only boy in Kate's life. Kate had a childhood best friend, Gus. Although Gus didn't attend college with Kate, he is featured throughout the story. I loved Gus, he was such a fun character. Kate and Gus shared a strong bond. They loved each other fiercely and I found myself questioning their relationship many a time, wondering if Keller had some competition! This story was totally unpredictable. I had not a clue what would happen or which boy Kate would end up with! 

"I love you more than you could possibly imagine."
"My imagination is endless,"
"Good. So is my love." 

I enjoyed reading about Kate's college experiences and I loved the friendships that she made. I loved how loyal a friend she was, often putting her own friends needs before her own and standing up for them when things got rough. Kate deserved the love that she received. She was cherished by everyone. I wanted her to be my best friend too! Kate's life was good. At last she was getting the happy life that she deserved. 

"I never thought being with someone would feel this right. But it does. It does. It's my fairy tale." 

Before I read this story, I was warned that it was a tearjerker so I knew that something bad was going to happen, I just couldn't guess what that bad thing was. Despite the fact that I thought I was prepared for bad news when it eventually happened, it hit me hard and I was truly devastated. I recommend having a huge box of tissues handy. I spent the majority of the last twenty percent of the book in tears. 

I couldn't believe what was happening to these beautiful characters as their whole world was being ripped apart. Because the author had given me a chance to really get to know each of the characters well, I felt that I had truly connected with them. I felt that they were my friends, So when tragedy struck, I too felt their pain. By the end of the book I was not only heart broken but also angry. I was so upset. Life was cruel and unfair. Kim Holden you have ripped out my heart! Can I please get a rewind and a different ending?

"A lot of happiness is bypassed, overlooked, postponed to a time years from now that may 
never come. Don't bide your time and miss out on this moment for a tomorrow with no guarantee." 

"Bright Side" was a heartbreaking read. It was both powerful and thought provoking. and extremely emotional and it gets ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️  emotional hearts from me! 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this book...best ugly cry I've had in a long while.

    ReplyDelete