Saturday 29 November 2014

Review: JD Chase's "The Redeemer (Rouge Passion # 2)".

Review: JD Chase's "The Redeemer (Rouge Passion #2)". 


Synopsis:

The sequel to The Player. The second and final installment of the Rouge Passion series.

Xander’s secret sends Isla reeling. Frustrated with her own stupidity, and in full denial of the pain she’s feeling, she resolves to teach him a lesson. As the legal owner of Rouge Passion, she’s in the perfect position to do just that. And boy, she could give lessons on how to deal with cheats. She goes all out to protect her position, including enlisting the services of two former Marines. 

Although fiercely independent, she has to rely on the staff to help her, something that proves difficult, especially after a drunken liaison. 

Can Xander outmanoeuvre her or, with the odds stacked against him, should he walk away?

Is everything always black and white? Or do grey areas exist?

Xander is forced to regret holding his cards so close to his chest but, when all is revealed, will he be left holding the winning hand?

Review-Jo Rushton

The first book in this series left me with a cliffhanger of the worst kind. I couldn't wait to get stuck into this book as I was eager to see what would happen next between Isla and Xander. I found myself rushing through the first few chapters looking for the answers that I so desperately needed but JD Chase sure knows how to test my patience... I felt like I was waiting forever!! Lol

Isla was left heartbroken after she discovered Xander's secret and was struggling to pick up the pieces of both her personal life and her career. She was angry and hurt which (unfortunately for Xander) was a wicked combination for someone who wanted revenge. 

I was right-all men are bastards. He made me forget that. And for what? 

Although I felt sorry for Isla, I couldn't help but feel that maybe she was dealing with her situation entirely the wrong way. I was certain that Xander must have an explanation and I hoped that she would give him the chance to redeem himself. I truly longed to see this couple back together again, after all, I am an hopeless romantic! LOL. 

Finally, Isla managed to get some answers from Xander and I was so relieved. I began to have faith that things would get back on track for the pair but then along came more drama! There was so much going on in this story that I began to feel dizzy and that was before yet another twist. A twist that caused even more trouble between the couple. To be honest, I was feeling a little disappointed in how this story was going. 

"How long until the next time, Xander? How can I know you'll be there when I need you?"

In "The Player" I found that I really liked Isla but in this book, I began to feel frustrated with how she was handling everything. She appeared to give up so easily. Where was the independent, feisty woman that fought for what she wanted? I was willing her to fight for the man that she loved. 

"You said you have no choice but to walk away from me. 
But you do, you're the only one with any choice." 

Once again Xander completely confused me. There was part of me that loved him. When he turned on his gentle, romantic side I couldn't help the swooning that occurred, however when he was in the mood for dirty talk, I found myself feeling utterly put off by him. Xander's style of bedroom talk was just not for me. I found that his foul mouth went a bit too far. 

"I should have known better. You greedy, filthy bitch. 
You've just made my cock angry. Very angry." 

Once I'd finished this story, I realised that it did not deliver in the way that I had hoped. Although there were some good parts that I loved, there was a large part of the story that I did not enjoy, especially the endless amount of times when the characters were reflecting on their actions and arguing with themselves. That style of writing drove me crazy! I also felt that this story was a little rushed. It makes me so sad to say this because I truly loved the first book. Despite me feeling disappointed with the story overall I did love the ending. It was the perfect ending for Xander and Isla and I read the final few pages with a smile on my face. 

"You're mine, Isla Hamilton. I own you. Every inch of your flesh-inside and out-is mine." 

I reluctantly rate "The Redeemer" ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment