Friday 12 September 2014

Review: Lindy Zart's "Unlit Star."

5 Hearts Review: Lindy Zart's "Unlit Star."

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1osEfm3 
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1nLk96G

Synopsis:

We are not guaranteed anything, not even this life.

Rivers Young is the popular guy untouchable by reality. He is like a star—bright, consuming, otherworldly. The thing about stars, though, is that they eventually fall, and he is no different. 

He falls far and he falls hard. 

Delilah Bana is the outcast enshrouded in all of life's ironies. Alone, in the dark, like dusk as it falls on the world. When Rivers hits the ground, she is the night that catches him. In the darkness, they meld into something beautiful that shines like the sun. 

Only, the greater the star is, the shorter its lifespan.

Review: Surj Harvey

Have you ever cried so much that your head hurts, your eyes are sore, your heart feels like it's been squeezed within an inch of its life and your chest feels tight from the agonizing pain it's just experienced? Well that's me right now having just finished Lindy Zart's "Unlit Star." This book was so moving, so touching, so powerful, so profound and it was difficult not to be affected by what I read. 

"You woke my soul up and the rest of me followed."

Delilah and Rivers' story touched my heart. It was captivating, beautiful, uplifting and inspirational and it made feel... god did it make me feel. It was like a tidal wave of emotions hitting me all at the same time, each one a contradiction of the next. I felt joy. I felt sorrow, elation and devastation and I laughed and I cried... yup those big, ugly, snot bubble tears fell and I didn't care who saw me fall apart because this story deserved all of that and more. 

I'm glad for every day I get, and he wishes the promise of a new dawn would fade into oblivion. 

This is my first experience of work by this author and it definitely won't be my last. Right from the start, her writing pulled me in, her ability to put me right in the middle of this beautiful story astounding me. I could visualise Rivers house, the sun room, the pool, his bedroom, the cabin: all key settings that really helped to bring this story to life. And the words... those beautiful words intricately woven through the pages wrapped themselves around my soul, connecting me to the characters and the story they had to tell. 

Something remarkable can always be the result of something devastating, 
if you choose to find that one positive in a nest of negatives.

I don't think there was a single character in "Unlit Star" that didn't affect me in one way or another but it was Rivers and Delilah that really stole the show for me. Their journey as individuals and as a couple took my breath away. The choices they made, the growth in their characters, the lessons that were learned along the way left me in awe of each of them. Even now as I think about Delilah, she brings a smile to my face. She was wise beyond her years that's for sure. Ever the positive thinker, I loved the way she embraced the fact that she was different. Some would say she was weird, I'd say quirky but in the best possible way. She saw the good in everyone, even those that had wronged her and she was selfless to the end. An inspiration if ever there was one. I wanted some of that beautiful sunshine that followed her around. And Rivers. His journey had been a tough one but the lessons he learned made him a better man. 

"I am thankful for his life, but I think all he sees is what he's lost, not what he still has. 
All he sees is a dream taken from him." 

As you can tell from this review, I've intentionally stayed away from the story line because for me, this is one book you truly need to experience for yourself. What I will say is, Delilah and River's story is one that will stay with me for a long time and even now when I think about it, I can feel a flurry of emotions taking over. This book is full to the brim with take home messages and if anything, it made me look at my life, the way I live it and the way I see people. An outstanding, heart felt story where beauty was found amongst tragedy. 


I couldn't rate "Unlit Star" anything less than 5 Hearts. I'd give it more if I could and it's definitely up there with my all time favourite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment