Friday 9 May 2014

Review: Ryan Winfield's "Jane's Melody."

5 Heart Review: Ryan Winfield's "Jane's Melody."


Synopsis:

What boundaries would you cross for love?

That's the question a grieving mother must answer when she takes in a young street musician to learn about her daughter's death and finds herself falling for him. A touching love story that will have you equally tantalized and in tears, Jane's Melody follows a forty-year-old woman on a romantic journey of rediscovery after years of struggling alone.

Sometimes our greatest gifts come from our greatest pain. And now Jane must decide if it's too late for her to start over, or if true love really knows no age.

Review: Kirsty Lander

I was introduced to this book by my good friend, Kirsten. She met Ryan last year and promised to read his book. Well, I was instantly interested. Me and Kirsten have the same taste in books so I knew I would love it too. And love it I did! Jane's Melody was such an enjoyable read. 

As we know from the blurb, Jane is a grieving mother (her daughter died from an overdose following struggles with addiction) who falls for her dead daughters boyfriend. Reading that blurb had me worried. How involved was her daughter and this guy? Did Jane have a good relationship with her daughter? What would everybody think? I really didn't know what to expect. 

I won't say too much but what really happened but my expectations were blown. There was no need for me to panic about the story line, Ryan had it playing out beautifully and to perfection. 

"Perhaps not all spirits are meant for this world, but they pass 
through anyway and change for the better those that are."

I really enjoyed both the main characters here. Jane wasn't the type of person who was trying to act younger than she was to fit in with her younger lover. She certainly wouldn't have embarrassed me had she been my mother! She was very much aware of the age difference and was constantly doubting Caleb and their relationship. After everything she had been through, it was really sad to read at times. 

Caleb was all kinds of wonderful. (I'm beginning to think there is something about the name Caleb in a book. I can't help but fall in love with them!). In his life he really doesn't have much. He is homeless and spends his days playing music on the streets and his nights couch surfing between different friends. Again, he just made me feel sad at first. He wasn't the kind to wallow in his misery but I still felt sad for him that he was in such a position. 

"Love is this feeling I get when I look at you. A feeling that as long as you're near me, 
or in the world even, then everything will be okay."

I don't know if its right to mention this but I'm going to anyway. I think it is a huge compliment to Ryan to say that I never would have guessed the book was written by a male. The story is mainly told in Jane's POV and I felt that everything she said and the way she behaved was just spot on. (Even if she did make a couple of silly mistakes.. Grr.)

Another thing I loved was that there was almost a story within a story here. Jane has a best friend, Grace, who attends weekly Al-Anon meetings. They had a truly wonderful friendship and I loved the constant advice Grace gave Jane. I had the impression early on that something was going on with Grace and I think Ryan handled it beautifully. I really appreciated it being in the story.

"You know what fine stands for don't you?
Fucked up, Insecure, Neurotic, and Emotional."

All in all this really was such a great read and I'm glad Kirsten recommended it to me. I'll be looking in to more work by Ryan!  

I rated this book 5 Hearts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment