Thursday 29 May 2014

Review: Alison G. Bailey's "Past Imperfect (Perfect #2)".

4 Hearts Review: Alison G. Bailey's "Past Imperfect (Perfect # 2)". 

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1w7oHdO
Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/1tcX52K

Synopsis:

In Present Perfect, Brad Johnson was sexy, cocky, rich and a complete Smurff**ker. He could afford anything he wanted and could charm any girl he set his eyes on. Everything was laid out in front of him, all for the taking except the one thing he craved and needed. A tragic event forces him to reevaluate his life. When he tries to change, will the people in his life let him move on from his past or will they constantly hold him to the life altering mistakes he’s made?

Mabry Darnell is intelligent, ambitious, beautiful, and sassy. Secrets from her past haunt the present causing her to question her actions in order to shield her heart and protect her life.

From the moment Brad and Mabry met, their connection was strong, intense, and electrifying. Both knew they had found the one person who could satisfy what the other ached for. When their pasts collide with their present, will it prevent them from having a future together or will love be strong enough to conquer their demons?

Review-Jo Rushton

I absolutely loved "Present Perfect", the first book in the "Perfect" series and as such I was really looking forward to reading the next installment entitled  "Past Imperfect." This gave us Brad and Mabry's story and for those of you who are following the series, you may recall Brad as the boy that Amanda/Tweet had a brief relationship with way back when.

Brad was a player, he was selfish and he was uncaring and he used girls for his own needs (not giving a toss about their feelings). To say he had a bad reputation is an understatement and to be honest, he came across as a bit of a pig!!! Well, it's amazing the effect one girl can have on a man because from the minute Brad met Mabry, he was well and truly smitten. 

"I knew from the second I laid eyes on her, my reaction was different. 
It was more than lust at first sight. I've fallen for this girl and I need her in my life." 

Mabry was a beautiful, sweet girl who appeared to have a bright future ahead of her. Unfortunately all was not as it seemed. Following a tragic and life altering event, Mabry found herself consumed with guilt and worry and upon meeting Brad, she was determined to keep things casual between them. 

For the first time in his life, Brad didn't have a girl falling at his feet. Instead,he was the one that wanted more! 

"Look, the stuff people have said about me are true, but I'm not that guy anymore. 
If you let me into your heart, I'll spend the rest of my life proving it to you." 

As the story progressed and I discovered more about this couple's past, I realized they had more in common then I initially thought. But what did this connection mean for them and their future. Let's just say, Obstacle after obstacle meant their road to a HEA was not going to be an easy one! 

I found Brad and Mabry to be very likable characters. Despite Brad being bad boy, the more I got to know him, the more I understood him and the reason behind his behaviour. Deep down, he craved the feeling of being wanted and loved and I truly hoped that Mabry was the girl that could give him that. 

"I'm sorry, Mabry. If I'd known you were going to be in my future, 
I would have been a better man in my past." 

My heart went out to Brad and Mabry, for everything they had both had to deal with. It's no wonder that both were struggling through life. 

"Everyone has always looked at me as a fucking mistake. I thought it was true until I met you. 
You give me meaning and purpose, Mabry. You're the only person who has ever wanted 
me in their life. This can't be a mistake. What I feel for you isn't a mistake. 
Let me spend the rest of my life proving that to you." 

The story was written from both couple's perspective, flitting from the past to the present day. At the beginning I found that this effected the flow of the story, taking me a while to get used to it and as such I wasn't immediately pulled in. However once I became accustomed to the style of writing I found that I thoroughly enjoying Brad and Mabry's story. I loved that this couple were finally finding a way to fix themselves and were able to overcome their past together. The epilogue melted my heart and I found out a little bit more then I was expecting. This was a pleasant surprise! 

"Past Imperfect" can be read as a stand alone as "Noah" and "Amanda", from the first book in the series, were only featured for a very short time, not giving anything away about their story.  Brad and Mabry's story gets 4 emotional hearts from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment