Thursday 23 January 2014

Review: Tracy Wolff's "Ruined."

Review: Tracy Wolff's "Ruined."

~ 3.5 Hearts Review ~

Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/JHHuZw
Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/1a0OUkh

Synopsis:

He’s the last man Chloe Girard should love . . . but the first she ever could.

Ethan Frost is a visionary, a genius, every woman’s deepest, darkest fantasy—even mine. And, somehow, I am his.

He stole into my life like a dream. Turned my reality upside down and made my every desire come true—especially those I never knew I had. He demanded everything I had to give and gave me everything of himself in return.

But dreams don’t last forever, and ours is no exception. Because my nightmares are darker, and my wounds deeper, than I could ever reveal. And as much as Ethan wants to protect me, the secrets we we share will only tear us apart.

Includes a special message from the editor, as well as excerpts from other Loveswept titles.

Review: Surj Harvey

This was like a nice casual stroll in the park for me. I enjoyed the story line but there was nothing that really got my heart racing... and that includes Ethan and Chloe. Don't get me wrong, I liked their characters and their story but for me, it just didn't have that wow factor. "Ruined" was a book I was happy to put down and pick back up some time later with nothing giving me that itch to get back to it any time soon. 

Some have compared it to FSOG or the Crossfire Series but I saw very few similarities to be honest. Yes Ethan was rich and Chloe had to count her pennies and yes they both had skeletons in their closets but that's where the similarities ended. There was no BDSM although I have to admit, the sex scenes were definitely well written, they were intense and they were hot and to top it off, when they finally did come, there were pages of the really good stuff!!! "Ruined" was much tamer, so much more toned down and even the characters were very different than those in the aforementioned books.  

The first couple of chapters of "Ruined" were fab and had me in stitches. To a degree they were predictable and I could envisage where the story might be  heading but that was OK because I was getting to know the characters and I was really enjoying their banter. I loved the journey the Vitamix blender took!!! I need to get me one of those!!!! lol 

Ethan Frost was a man who was used to getting what he wanted. However, I didn't see him as an alpha, caveman kinda guy. In fact completely the opposite. Don't get me wrong, he liked to be in control but in the same breath, he knew when to relinquish that control and it was usually for the benefit of others (namely Chloe). Ethan was really personable,he was generous, he was down to earth and he was kind, caring and gentle. There was nothing arrogant about him and he definitely didn't flash his cash. A prime example would be the heart felt gifts he gave to Chloe. They were so touching and the meaning behind each item was just beautiful. I loved his persistence when it came to making her 'his' and even when things didn't seem to be going in his favour, he never quit. 

"I'm not broken." The words sound harsh and jagged. "Oh baby." He reaches for my hand, 
rubs his thumb over my knuckles. "I know that. I just wasn't sure you did."

From the word go, I saw a very strong, confident woman in Chloe, someone who knew what she wanted and how she was going to get it. She'd worked her ass off to get an internship at Frost Industries and she wasn't about to jeopardize it ... no way in hell. This was a gateway to a future she had spent years planning. Chloe's character was the exact opposite of the type of person I am. She was analytical and she she was pragmatic. Everything she did had to have rhyme and reason behind it and her decisions and choices were usually of the sensible variety.  OK so that was the case until Ethan walked into her life because he well and truly made her forget herself. 

It's not his pushiness I'm upset with. It's the way I constantly want to yield to him. 
The way I cave to his every wish  when I have no intention of doing so. 
I haven't been that girl in years, don;t want to be her every again. 
The fact that Ethan can so easily bend me to his will is disconcerting. Worse, it's alarming. 

The walls she'd worked so hard building seemed to quite literally crumble in his presence yet the minute she was away from him, on went the pragmatic, analytical thinker hat. Yup, there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing when it came to Ethan and Chloe's relationship because despite the fact that there was a connection (both emotionally and physically), Chloe had a past, one that meant relationships were a massive NO NO!!! 

Unfortunately her past was never far from her thoughts. Although it wasn't revealed until further on in the story, I could see that it had played a huge part in the person she was today. Did I guess... yes but to be honest it wasn't that difficult. Maybe that's why I didn't get an overwhelming sense of heart break when it finally came out. Don't get me wrong, what had happened to her was awful but something was a miss.  I wanted angst, I wanted soul destroying, I wanted to feel as though my heart had been bled dry but those feelings never came. I was gutted. 

Now Ethan's demons didn't really get much of a look until right at the end of the book to be honest (unless I missed some really massive clues). This book focused more on Chloe's past and the development of their relationship from employer/ employee to so much more. Being told solely from her POV, I guess that was always going to be the case. It wasn't until the last 10% of the book that suddenly my emotions seemed to get a huge kick start. Where the hell did that come from. Well holy crap because that's when I just couldn't part with this book... the ending was completely unexpected and definitely blew me away. Up until that point it was hit and miss as to whether I'd read the next book.... now I need to!!! I have to!!!! When all the dots were finally put together I couldn't believe what I was reading. Ethan's past ... his demons.... I'm speechless!!! 

"Ruined" was a gentle read for me.... not too taxing on the old brain cells but still, it held my attention when I was reading it. The writing was fine, the characters were likable but the ending and the epilogue just made this book for me. Up until then, my emotions had lay dormant. I can't wait for the next installment. I can see the mother of all shit storms ahead!!! 

I rated "Ruined" 3.5 Hearts 

No comments:

Post a Comment