Friday 10 January 2014

Review: Belle Aurora's "Raw."

Review: Belle Aurora's "Raw."

~ 5  Hearts Review  ~

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/19Oqw2a
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/19Eim1T

Synopsis:

*Author Note: This is not a love story. This is a story of love gone wrong.*

Growing up the way I did, you’d think I’d be more screwed up than what I actually am.

Soon as I turned sixteen, I left that bump in the road I called home and took my chances on the street. Best decision I ever made.

Now, at the age of twenty six, I’m educated, employed and damn good at my job. My friends have become my family. Like me, they know what it’s like to grow up unloved. But the saying is true. The world makes way for those who know where they are going. That’s me. I know where I’m going and I’ll get there eventually. On my own terms and at my own pace.

But then there’s him. I feel his eyes on me. I see him hiding in plain sight. He watches me.He makes me feel. It’s unconventional. But it’s real. I’m sure you’re wondering how a person falls in love with their stalker. So am I. 

This isn’t a story. This is my life.


Review: Surj Harvey

This review has taken me a couple of days to write. To be honest I needed to compose myself, gather my thoughts. You see, I should have paid more attention to the synopsis and the author's warning: 


*Author Note: This is not a love story. This is a story of love gone wrong.*

I didn't so the consequences are on me! Belle Aurora, you've ripped my heart out and left my emotions exposed and in tatters. I'm a mess and I can't get this book out of my head!!! Sleep.. what's that? This book has consumed me and I need help. Looking for your next mind fuck of a read, well look no further because this one will really screw you over (but in the most compelling way!!!). 

From the prologue, I judged "Raw." I thought it was predictable. I had these preconceived ideas about the direction this book would take. Epic fail because other than the obvious (which I'm sure most people will guess straight off the bat), nothing could have prepared me for what followed. Everything I thought would happen was turned on it's head and the more I read, the more questions arose and the more confused I got. Did it make me want to put the book down? Hell no, it made me want to read on and I welcomed the puzzle that lay ahead. There were moments I questioned my sanity... I mean I was reading a book  about a man that made my blood boil but I was addicted. I needed to know his story, to her story, to their story. 


“Monsters don't always lurk in the shadows. Sometimes they hide in plain sight.”

Twitch was an enigma. My initial instinct was was that he was just a beautiful, tattoo'd, very hot man with a tragic past who was seeking the person that had made such an impact on him as a child. Well that was kinda true but Twitch was mean. He was dark, twisted, fucked up even and he was NOT a nice person. He was a man who lived life by his own rules and these rules were not conventional in any shape, way or form. He was what he was though and made no apologies for it.  I wanted to like him, I was desperate for him to redeem himself and when I saw glimpses of a gentle, tender side, I thought maybe he would start to win me over. Nope ... didn't happen because that darkness that surrounded him overshadowed everything else. 


He was like a magnet, drawing my positive to his negative. 

Alexis Ballatine was such a beautiful, awe inspiring character. From a terrible childhood, she had managed to turn her life around and now helped children in need. She was strong, confident, selfless and so giving and I could see why the kids took to her. Her sense of humour was brilliant and she had this knack of laughing at the most inappropriate moments. Pure brilliance. But I have to say, there were some choices she made further on in the book that just didn't sit well with me. It's amazing what an obsession can do to you. She risked everything she'd worked so hard for and all it took was a few stupid minutes and some gentle persuasion!!! 

I couldn't figure out Twitch's game when it came to Lexi. He blew so hot and cold and it was like he was talking in riddles.. riddles I couldn't working out. What I did know was that there was an obsession, an addiction on both sides and once they started this (whatever this was) there was no going back. When they were together, there was an intensity that consumed them and the days they were apart were filled with an empty void. Emotional and sexual boundaries were pushed when it came to their connection so if you're expecting vanilla, think again.  


"There's only one way I fuck. Dirty. And this type of dirty... it doesn't wash off.""

Twitch held the cards when it came to what they had. He was a dominant, controlling figure who came in and out of Lexi's  life as he pleased with no hello's or goodbyes. He had her... she knew it... he knew it. But where was it headed? 


There's something about Twitch. He's just ... raw. Everything about him is raw. And gritty. 
And unbound. He's a raging fire. And I'm the fragile moth fluttering into the flame. 
Sooner or later, I'm going to get burned. I know this. 

The secondary characters in Michael, Happy, Julius, Dave and Nikki really helped to solidify this book. Each of them brought something different ... whether it was comfort, happiness, humour or heart break, they really helped to make this story. (When Rocco ran off with Nox's leg... OMG I almost wet myself with laughter!!!). 

As the story started to come together and I got the missing pieces, everything started to make sense and I knew a HEA would be pushing it. My heart was already hurting but this was like a sledge hammer breaking it into smithereens. Be prepared to have your nerves torn to shreds and make sure you have tissues!!! Lots of them. I still have a lump in my throat (actually it's more like razor blades) as I try to take in what I just read. It was painful, uncomfortable reading on my part because there wasn't a single thing about these characters or the story line that was right? Or was there? See mind fuck!!!!  This was torturous but brilliant reading. 


"Don't you know? You're what fills the hole in my heart. You saved me. You're my hero."

"No, I'm not. You have no idea how wrong you are. What you want me to be, I can never be. 
It's not me. I'm the villain in this story."

This book is one that will stay with me for a long while. It ripped me from my comfort zone and made me feel things I knew I shouldn't. It was "raw, gritty and dirty as hell" and there were no apologies for it. My one regret... I never got the chance to love Twitch because the book ended and I think that's what hurts the most. He was worth loving. Do I want a sequel? I don't know... this is a standalone but either way "Raw" got very painful, gut wrenching, mind fucking Hearts from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment