Thursday 10 October 2013

Review: Lisa J. Hobman's "Through the Glass."

Review: Lisa J. Hobman's "Through the Glass."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/19k2cTV
Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/19SMb8g

Synopsis:


 A broken heart can never be a blank canvas…


You meet someone, fall in love, and live happily ever after…right?

That’s what Jim MacDuff thought, but after years of being blissfully happy, everything he holds dear comes crashing spectacularly down thanks to his interfering mother-in-law. Felicity “Flick” Johnston-Hart is passionate about painting what she sees through the glass. Just like the subjects of her paintings, she’s viewed her life as an observer instead of really living. Although she adores her first love, Jim, more than life, her mother’s expectations eventually chip away at her, making her believe that painting and Jim are simply not enough.

After settling back into life as a single man in the stunning Scottish Highlands, Jim is graced with an unexpected and unwanted visitor bringing painful news that he would rather not hear. A letter from beyond the grave leads him to do something he never imagined and takes him on a journey to try to help Flick rekindle her passion for painting…and maybe win her love again in the process.

Can Jim and Flick make things right before it’s too late, or will events leave them heartbroken and alone forever?


My Review by Jo Rushton:    

(Through the Glass" received from author for a honest review).

I really enjoyed Lisa J. Hobman's first book "Bridge over the Atlantic" and I couldn't wait to get my hands on her latest novel "Through the Glass." 

The book followed the story of Jim and Felicity who had been together since university... they met, fell hopelessly in love and got married. Perfect right? Maybe not so much. This is where as a reader, I joined the story. Jim was blissfully happy and content with the life they shared but slowly, Felicity
was realising that she wanted more and what they had was no longer enough for her.  Unfortunately, she finally had enough and called it a day:

"In all these years you've kept the same hairstyle, the same clothing, 
and the same laid back attitude. You still work in the same second hand bookstore, 
you still drive that ancient Land Rover, and you still take that bloody dog everywhere you go! 
You are not a student anymore. Maybe I want more?"

The end of their marriage left Jim devastated. I really like Jim's character. He wasn't the usual alpha-male character that I'm used to reading about. Jim was a genuine guy that you could imagine meeting down the pub for a pint! Down to earth. Jim absolutely loved Felicity and would do anything for her and that stayed true even years after the marriage had ended. 

Felicity continued her life on the path she felt she she should following but suddenly doubt started creeping in. Her new life wasn't all she thought it would be and not having Jim by her side made her realise maybe she'd made a mistake. You know that saying: you don't know what you've got until it's gone?  Well I'd say that rang very true in this case.  Jim knew Felicity a lot better then she knew herself.
"I've ruined his life. I can't bear it. He was my best friend in the whole world. 
My soul-mate and I broke him."

Flashbacks from their past were interwoven throughout this book and I loved reading those. This really helped me to get to know Jim and Felicity in the present but also how well they went together in the past... the were a cute couple. As I read through the pages, I knew these two belonged together ... yes I know... I'm a hopeless romantic at heart. This is when the story frustrated me a little. It seemed like luck just wasn't on Jim's side. I desperately wanted to see this man happy again but it was one thing after another and at one point I wondered whether they would  ever find happiness? 

On the most part, the story was a good one but it just didn't pull at my emotions as much as I would have liked and times, was a little slow.  
I rated "Through the Glass" 3.5 hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment