Friday 19 July 2013

Review: Jodi Ellen Malpas "Beneath this Man" (This Man Trilogy)

@JodiEllenMalpas
Review: Jodi Ellen Malpas' "Beneath This Man" (#2 This Man Trilogy)

Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/1bcnTvr
Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/12ABJhP

Synopsis:
She knew she was heading towards disaster. Every instinct told her to run, but Jesse Ward was a hard man to escape.

It has been five days’ since Ava O’Shea left Jesse drunk and raging at Lusso – left behind a man who drowned her in his intensity and blindsided her with his touch. Getting over this man was never going to be easy. And now he’s back in her life.

She has questions she needs answering, but her determination to get these answers will give the pleasure-seeking playboy the power to destroy her again. She needs to keep her eyes wide open and caution at the forefront of her mind, an ambitious intention when Jesse Ward is within touching distance. And he plans to be.

He’s dark, he’s broken – Ava knows this, but the only way to find out how dark and how broken is to get beneath the steely exterior of this man.

My Review: Jo

Beneath this Man is the second book in the "This Man" trilogy by Jodi Ellen Malpas. DO NOT READ if you have not read the first book "This Man".

I really enjoyed this book just as much as the first book and I devoured it so quickly that I had to re-read it a second time just to make sure I didn't miss anything. 

I  fell in love with the continued story of Jesse and Ava's journey together. There was just so much happening in this book  I just couldn't put it down. I was dying to find out what was in store for this intense couple.

The second book begins soon after the first book ended. Ava left Jesse in his apartment after discovering yet another secret that he was hiding from her. She is left heartbroken having no contact with Jesse, no phone calls, no flowers. Nothing.

"He made me need him, and now he's gone." 

When Sam and Drew need Ava's help to get into Jesse's apartment, Ava reluctantly agrees. No-one has seen or heard from Jesse and Sam and Drew are concerned. When they find Jesse, Ava is shocked and upset at the state Jesse's in. She can't leave him and stays to help him recover.


"I know if I walk out of the door, I'm finished. My only hope is to stay."

Jesse and Ava's relationship is rekindled and they confess their love for each other (Hooray!) however their problems are far from over.
Jesse continues his controlling and possessive ways and Ava is frustrated. However as Jesse's past becomes more clear we come to realise just why he needs Ava so much.


"You're mine and mine alone, baby. Just for my eyes, just for my touch 
and just for my pleasure. Just mine." 

Ava slowly comes to accept the secrets that were uncovered in "The Manor" and realises that she loves Jesse despite his past. Because of this acceptance, we see the couple's love grow stronger and more intense. These two really are made for each other, the possessiveness becoming a two way streak, with both driving the other crazy with the passion they share.  They are what you would call "crazy in love."

Throughout this book, we also continue to see the progression of Sam and Kate's relationship and also share in the stories of Tom, Victoria and Drew who we first met in "This Man." We also see a number of new characters come out of the woodwork and they really had me wondering what secrets they held. Who is Ruth Quinn? Does she have anything to do with Jesse? Jesse is determined to hide his past from Ava and not have anything ruin their love:


"You're my little piece of heaven. Nothing will rob you from me. Nothing."

Another thing that had me curious throughout the story was what was happening to Ava's contraceptive pill's? I have my suspicions! Will this be revealed in book three? Is Ava ever going to uncover all of Jesse's secrets?  

Once again this story is wonderfully written and keeps you wanting more. I love Ava and Jesse and I cant wait to see what is in store for them next.

Bring on the third and final book: This Man Confesses.
 Jodi Ellen Malpas gets a huge 5 Hearts for "Beneath this Man".


 

No comments:

Post a Comment