Sunday 16 June 2013

Review: Michelle Kemper Brownlow's "In Too Deep."

 Publication date: June 6th 2013 by Sapphire Star Publishing
Genre: New Adult Romance

Synopsis:

Gracie has just finished her freshman year of college in Memphis when she takes a job at a local pizza joint in her home town of McKenzie, Tennessee. She is the epitome of innocence when she meets Noah. Noah is unabashedly handsome, intriguingly reckless and just cocky enough to be sexy. Gracie’s instincts tell her to stay far away from him and based on the stories she hears from her co-workers he leaves broken hearts in his wake. But still, she can’t explain her fascination with him.

Noah puts aside his bad boy ways when what he thought was a summer crush has him unexpectedly falling in love. But soon after Gracie transfers to UT Knoxville to be with Noah, their unexpected love becomes riddled with anger, deceit and humiliation.

Jake, Noah’s former roommate and Gracie’s best friend, can no longer be a bystander. Gracie’s world falls out from beneath her and when she breaks she turns to Jake for strength. As Jake talks her through a decision she’s not yet strong enough to make, together they uncover a truth so ugly neither of them is prepared for its fallout. Will Jake pull her to the surface or is Gracie Jordan finally In Too Deep?

My Review: Jo

This is the first book from Michelle Kemper Brownlow and I look forward to reading more from this new Author. I quickly became absorbed in the story and  it didn't take me long to read it because I became eager to know what happened next in this book about a girl falling "in too deep."

Gracie met Noah whilst at college and quickly fell for his charms. Noah was Mr Popular, a boy who every girl wanted to be with. She quickly fell in love with him but after finding out that he had cheated on her on more than one occasion she attempted to end the relationship. This is when Noah changed and showed her his true colours. He became hurtful towards her, using emotional abuse to keep her by his side. Gracie became so confused about her feelings for him mainly because he was so Jekyll and Hyde. Sometimes he showed her such a loving, affectionate side and other times he just treated her so badly.

"I so badly wished I could predict his reactions. They were never the same twice.
I was always walking on eggshells."

Jake was Gracie's best friend and he became her rock when times were tough with Noah. He was always there for her and it quickly became obvious he was falling in love with her. Jake was the man that Gracie needed but she was blind too see it. Whilst reading this book I quickly despised Noah and the appalling way in which he treated Gracie. I couldn't understand why she gave kept giving him chance after chance. I became increasingly frustrated with her character as she kept allowing herself to be manipulated by him. I wanted to shake her and tell her to wake up and smell the coffee. There were moments where I wanted to say, "What are you doing, girl?" I know I would have if she was my friend!.

Thank goodness for Jake who came along and helped Gracie see her relationship with Noah for what it really was.

"I'm sad that you fell back into your old pattern with Noah. Sad for you and I'm a
little sad for me too. I'm also sad that you think you don't deserve more ."

My heart went out  to Jake who repeatedly made his feelings known to Gracie but she just kept running back to Noah's arms and to his bed!!!!

My frustration with Gracie finally subsided when she  realised that Noah's chances were up (hallelujah!!!!)  The book ended how i wanted it too with a happy ending and the best man getting the girl.

All together now AWWW!!!

This was a good book that touched on an emotional subject. 4 hearts




Author Bio:

Michelle Kemper Brownlow has been a storyteller her entire life. Her debut was on the high school cheerleading bus granting requests to re-tell her most embarrassing moments for a gaggle of hysterical squadmates.
Earning her Bachelor’s degree from Penn State University in Art Education and then marrying her very own “Jake,” she moved to Binghamton, NY where she taught high school. After having two children she quit work and finished her Master’s degree in Elementary Education at Binghamton University.
The Brownlow family of four moved to Michelle’s hometown of Morgantown, PA while the children were still quite young. A few years after moving, her family grew by one when they welcomed a baby into their home through the gift of adoption. The family still resides in PA, just miles from where that high school cheer bus was parked.
Michelle has been an artist for as long as she can remember, always choosing pencils and crayons over toys and puzzles. As a freelance illustrator, her simple characters play the starring roles in numerous emergent reader books published by Reading Reading Books.
“Writing is my way of making sense of the world. When I give my characters life on the pages I write, it frees up space in my mind to welcome in new stories that are begging to be told,” says Brownlow

3 comments:

  1. So happy you loved it so much I have been seeing great reviews for this one so far and it's right up my alley! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for allowing me to stop by your blog on my tour! And thanks for the stars! I am so glad you liked IN TOO DEEP and I am thrilled you "got" Gracie! Thanks for all the time you invested in reading and reviewing IN TOO DEEP! :) I hope you will check out the sequel when it comes out - I think you will enjoy the Gracie you find there....and Jake is even hotter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you for your kind comments. I didn't realise that there would be a sequel to "In Too Deep". I will definitely be reading it. I'm looking forward to more Jake!

      Delete