Saturday 15 June 2013

Review: Abbi Glines "Twisted Perfection."

Synopsis:

Life outside of her house was a new experience for Della Sloane. The dark secrets of her past weren’t something she ever intended to share with anyone. They would never understand. No one would ever get close enough to find out. There was always a chance she’d go crazy sooner than they expected…
Woods Kerrington had never been one to be attracted to fragile females. They seemed like too much work. He wasn’t in it for the work just the pleasure. A night full of naughty fun had been exactly what was on his mind when he’d laid eyes on the hot little number that didn’t know how to pump gas and needed some help.

What he didn’t know was she was as fragile as they came. The carefree girl who spoke her mind and didn’t care what the world thought of her was more breakable than he could ever imagine.

My Review: Surj


I know I’m a little late off the mark in reading Abbi Glines “Twisted Perfection” but better late than never right? (setting up the blog has taken up so much time my TBR list is huge!!!!).   I read the first two books in the “Too Far” series  (which I loved by the way) and was desperate to read the final installement of Rush and Blaire’s story in “Forever Too Far” but wait.... Abbi Glines was recommending I read “Twisted Perfection” first??? Oh God. I would have to wait a little bit  longer for my Rush fix and so I took my pit stop.

I downloaded Wood’s book and began reading what I knew would be an emotional story. Abbi Glines...you got me... in a massive way.  From the first page I just fell in love with Della. Yes I said Della. And because she affected me so much, I am going to begin my review by talking about her.

Della was so different from the many heroines I’ve encountered through my reading journey. Despite her past and the fears she had regarding the future, this girl was all about embracing life and living it to the full:

It was my greatest fear, that I’d snap one day, too. Just like she had. I wanted to live
life because if that day came, I wanted to have lived once.

God even that quote puts a lump in my throat! I’m so glad Della wasn’t your typical damsel in distress. Yes she had a past and yes she had her demons that left her screaming in her sleep most nights, but she wasn’t afraid to speak of them. She wasn’t a tortured soul in need of saving. Her past was her past, she’d lived through it and it was time to live in the now:

I have anxiety issues. I can hide it, but if we’re living together then you’re
going to end up seeing me at my worst.

There were so many sides to Della, each of them bringing something special to her character and each of them helping me connect with her more. And in the words of Woods:

"You're not crazy. You're beautiful and fun. You're selfless and big-hearted.      
You’re a hard worker and you don’t expect anything from anyone.”

She was all of those things and more. I found such a lovely innocence about her, maybe a little naivety too but then with the past she’d had, would you expect anything else? Della craved intimacy, affection even. Something she had lacked growing up:

Wood’s gave me something no one else had. I sought affection from others.
Not only could Woods offer me that but he could make everything else fade away.

Her honest words left such an ache in my heart. I know she wasn’t after pity or sorrow but her story well and truly touched me.
But there was also a strong side to Della. She stayed true to herself and her beliefs. She knew right from wrong and she wouldn’t be a part of something that would either leave her or someone else hurt:

He wanted me for amusement. Someone to entertain him for a moment and then
he’d find another. I wasn’t that girl.
“You won’t even let me explain?” he called out.
I looked back at him. “The ring on her finger is the only explanation I will ever need.”

So where did Woods fit into the equation? Well, he was just as hot as I remember (well actually even hotter) and I do  think he’d give Rush a run for his money!!! Woods definitely stole my heart. There were so many times where I just felt so sad for him because nothing had really changed in his life. He was still working his ass off at his father’s golf club hoping that one day he would take his rightful place as vice president. Unfortunately his father was still controlling every aspect of his life... and I mean every aspect... including his love life. Marriage was not about love in the Kerrington family. Oh no, it was about the family name, the business and money. I’m so glad he remembered the words of his grandfather:

“Don’t miss out on the love of a good woman, son. No matter what that
old man of yours tells you, love is real.”

 Woods was nothing like his father, although there were times where he infuriated me and I was screaming for him to grow a backbone!!! He was just like I remember him in the “Too Far” series. He was kind and caring and so protective of things that were important to him:

“You are mine. Do you hear me? You are mine, Della Sloane. I will take care of you.
Nothing is taking you away from me. Nothing.”

Oh and did I forget to mention, he had a little alpha male thing going on. Yup, this one definitely liked to mark his territory, possessive was probably too mild a word and his mouth… omg he was damn right dirty when it came to bedroom talk. There were a few occasions I found myself needing to cool down:

“I want to be inside you again, Della. I want to pull this sexy ass excuse for a skirt up
and bury myself in the tightest pussy I’ve ever been in.”

Della and Woods relationship had been smoking hot from the start although it had only started off as a one night stand:

… this one wasn’t sticking around. I’d get a naughty distraction who wouldn’t
come with the high maintenance syndrome later. She’d just drive away.

And she did... just drive away that is. But then she drove straight back to Rosemary four months later. Lol. Woods had not been able to get this girl out of his mind. From the moment they’d met, she’d gotten under his skin and I loved it:

“My future was about to be thrown off track because Della Sloane was under
my skin and I had to have her.”

As much as these two tried, they couldn’t stay away from each other. Woods was definitely addicted:

“I’ll be whatever she needs me to be. I can’t walk away from her, I tried. I’m hooked.”

 Neither of them were perfect, both of them dealing with issues but they belonged together and I was rooting for them. I loved that he saw her as special and I loved that he thought she was worth fighting for:

“Is she forever for you then? She’s worth throwing it all away?”…
“She’s it. No one else. She’s all I’m ever gonna want.”

See, another swoon worthy, weak at the knees moment for me. We all need a Woods in our lives.

I loved that Abbi brought in the characters from the “Too Far” series. We saw Blaire, Bethy and Jase and we also got introduced to Tripp who I definitely think deserves his own book and Braden who was just the best friend every girl deserves.

I loved “Twisted Perfection.” From the first page to the last I devoured every word and felt every emotion unable to put the book down. I was so desperate for Woods and Della to get their HEA because they deserved it and so I just kept on reading and praying everything would work out in their favour.

Abbi Glines wrote “Twisted Perfection” from both Woods and Della’s POV and as always, this helped with my connection to the characters but also helped me understand their actions and their thought processes. I’m so glad there was no relationship cliffhanger with this one because I doubt my heart could take any more. This book really did a number on my emotions but in a really quiet way. There were so many nervous, angsty moments and all the way through, my heart hurt because of their pasts, their presents, the rocky relationship road they were on. Would they? Wouldn’t they? You name it, my heart found a reason to hurt over it. Even when they were having really hot steamy sex (and there was a good amount of that!!!!), I kept thinking, what’s going to happen next? Someone’s going to throw a spanner in the works. And they usually did. They were several “lump in my throat” moments and so many times I was pleading for the book to take another route because the one it was on was too painful to read!!! But I loved every bit of it. Abbi Glines, thank you for Woods and Della’s story. Roll on autumn because I can’t wait to see what happens next in "Simple Perfection."

This one got 5 Hearts from me. Definitely worth reading if you’re a fan of the “Too Far” series.

No comments:

Post a Comment