Monday 28 November 2016

Review: Ava Harrison's "trans-fer-ence."


Synopsis

The nightmares find me.
They steal my breath, slowly suffocating me.
I’m scared.
I want it to stop.
He’s supposed to help me.
Instead, he evokes something forbidden.
I know I should run.
But I can’t.
I’ve made my choice.
I want him.
There's only one problem...
He's my therapist.


Review: Kirsty

I was lucky enough to receive an ARC for this book in turn for an honest review. I thought it was a great, quick read. The blurb doesn't tell us too much, but I was sure I was in for some nitty-gritty. A forbidden romance is one of my favourite topics, so I couldn't wait to dig in. 

Eve, the heroine, has suffered many traumatic experiences in her life, and as a young woman, it has finally started to take its toll.. resulting in her ending up in hospital after an accident. With much persuasion from her roommate, Sydney, she agrees to see a psychologist. Which is exactly where we meet our hero, Preston. 

"We are two pieces of a puzzle and eventually we will be put back together."

I really enjoyed reading about Preston. Although he was Eve's psychologist, right from the start there was so much more to their relationship than that. There was an instant attraction, which both of them knew they shouldn't act on, but couldn't resist. Their relationship was slow building, but once it started, I felt like there weren't really that many hiccups. Yes, they had moments of being apart and denying each other, but ultimately I thought their relationship was too easy. Given the circumstances I wanted more angst, more pain and way more heartache. Clearly I'm a sicko.

Eve's character was interesting to me. She has been through a hell of a lot in her life and was in desperate need of help, which she received.. in the form of Preston originally, and then a new psychologist when things got too intense. Her 'recovery' could be seen throughout the whole book, but in the end I felt like it was all a little rushed. One minute she was having issues and the next, she was almost healed.

"Sadness can break a person. It can make a home inside you, 
slowly building a wall around your soul."

All in all this was a really good read but there were definitely a few things I would've changed.

I rated "trans-fer-ence" 4 hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment