Wednesday 3 January 2018

Review: Kristen Ashley's "The Hookup (Midnight & Motor oil # 1)."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/2oFAl5d
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/2j91qZ0

SYNOPSIS:

When the new girl in town, Eliza “Izzy” Forrester decides to hit the local drinking hole, she’s not ready to meet the town’s good, solid guy. She’s definitely not prepared to engage in her very first hookup with him.

Then Izzy wakes up the next morning in Johnny Gamble’s bed and good girl Izzy finds she likes being bad for Johnny.

Even so, Izzy feels Johnny holding her at arm’s length. But Johnny makes it clear he wants more and Izzy already knows she wants as much of hot-in-bed, sweet-out-of-it Johnny Gamble.

Floating on air thinking this is going somewhere, Izzy quickly learns why Johnny holds distant.

He’s in love with someone else. Someone who left him and did it leaving him broken. Whoever was up next would be runner up, second best. Knowing the stakes, Izzy will take what she can get from the gentleman that’s Johnny Gamble. And even knowing his heart might never mend, Johnny can’t seem to stay away from Izzy.

Until out of nowhere, his lost love comes back to town. He’s not going back, but Johnny still knows the right thing to do is let Izzy go.

And Izzy knew the stakes, so she makes it easy and slips though his fingers.

But that’s before Johnny realizes Eliza moved to town to escape danger that’s been swirling around her.

And that’s why Johnny decides to wade in.

That and the fact Eliza Forrester makes breakfast with a canary singing on her shoulder and fills out tight dresses in a way Johnny Gamble cannot get out of his head.

Review: Surj

When Kristen Ashley announced that she was bringing out a brand spanking new series this year, die hard KA fans (like me) jumped for joy. We couldn't contain our excitement as this author took to social media and revealed the cover, the synopsis and of course a number of teasers, each one giving us butterflies in anticipation at what was to come. And let me tell you. the first book in the "Midnight & Motor Oil" series did not disappoint. As many reviewers said, this was classic KA with many even likening it to her earlier work. In some respects I couldn't agree more. 

"You never know what's deep inside a soul. you just never know.
and since you don't know, you're never, not ever, in a position to judge."

"The Hookup" was one hell of a love story and for those hopeless romantics among us, you will eat this one up. It was one of those sweet as sugar, sexy as sin reads that was (for me) on the lighter side of what I'm used to reading from KA. Not that that was an issue of course because there was still a bit of a bite at the start and quite the sting towards the end but overall, I'd say this was one of those "kick back with a glass of wine, Sunday afternoon" reads. 

"that's the guy I am. yours. Simple. That's it. and you're mine. mine, Iz. And we take
care of each other. And we look after those in our hearts and lives. So the
Forrester girls club has a new member. And he's got a dick." 

Despite being low on angst and emotional turmoil, we were given some very strong characters who it was so easy to take to. Eliza was a woman who (despite a hard upbringing) was so positive. She was a glass half full kind of girl who was just so giving and caring. And then of course there was Johnny Gamble who was a die hard alpha and don't we just love those. Don't get me wrong, he had his moments where he deserved to be slapped around the face by a wet fish but he always redeemed himself so very quickly with his protective, caring nature. 

"She shouldn't have looked for a dreamer. 
she should have found a man who knows all the different types of motor oil."

The secondary characters were brilliant. Addie, Margot, Dave and of course Toby. They all added something quite spectacular to the first instalment in this series and I really hope they feature in future books. On a side note, I really had hoped for a "Toby & Addie" book  but alas, it wasn't to be. 

So all in all, a fab read from this author. I'll be honest though and say, I wish there had been more of a link from this story to the motor oil side of things. I guess I was expecting more of a greasy mechanic kinda vibe (I mean who doesn't love a greasy mechanic right?) but the reality wasn't quite that. Equally, I did miss the action and of course the mystery and suspense. Yes there was a little but nothing that really got the blood pumping, 

I hated it that I totally could fall in love with this man...but I couldn’t. 
I hated it that he was all mine and I was all his...but only when we were having sex. 
I hated that I knew when it was over that I’d miss this and miss it badly...
but I’d rather have it while I could than not have it at all.

I can't wait to see whose story gets told in the second book in this series but this one gets a fab ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment