Monday 24 October 2016

Review: Jaimie Roberts "Siren."

The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog are pleased to share their review of Jaimie Roberts "Siren."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/2eeW1ND
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/2emMRm4

Synopsis:

I’m not a good person. In fact, I’m a real bitch. If the opportunity arises, I will take your husband, give him the best sex he’s ever had, and laugh behind your back once I’m done with him. I do not put on airs and graces. I just take what I want whenever I want it. 

I am the abused who has become the abuser. I live for power because all power had been stripped from me for years. Now that I have it back, I feed off of it like it’s my primary sustenance, and I don’t care who I hurt in the process.

Every woman hates me, but do you know what? I don’t give a shit.

You won’t like me. I’m not here to be liked. You want to know my story? I won’t stop you from observing. Just know that once I’m done with you, no shower—no matter how scalding—will ever get me out from under your skin.

Warning: If you’re looking for pink, fluffy clouds, rainbows, and HEA’s, then this book is not for you. These pages contain flashback scenes of child abuse in all forms (physical, sexual, and emotional) as well as BDSM and other taboo themes. 

Love does not live in this book. Only dark, twisted, and sick obsessions thrive here. 

You. Have. Been. Warned! 

Review:Kirsty

Wow.. I really don't know how to put in to words what I have just read. It was nothing like I have ever read before. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely? Was I hooked? Hell yeah. Was it wrong on every level? YES.

“I guess bad company really does corrupt good morals.”

I am so conflicted. The blurb really doesn't do this book justice. It is messed up in every sense of the word. Scarlet is the most complex character I think I've ever read about, and her story fascinted me from start to finish. I should've hated her, I mean she was really vile at times, but I couldn't help... rooting for her. I knew this woman wasn't going to get a HAE, the blurb told me that, but all the way along I lived in hope.

As it says, this book contains all sorts of flashback scenes to child abuse. Let me tell you, this author doesn't hold back. At times I felt sick to my stomach reading about it. But isn't that just the sign of a brilliant author? I think so. I wanted to take the child Scarlet away from all the pain she experienced, it was truly awful.

“Looking at him now, one could never imagine a monster 
lived inside of him. A monster who taught me well.”

And then, as an adult? This poor woman's life has done the biggest number on her. She is out for revenge, from all of the people in her life who have wronged her. Her family. And the way she goes about it is nothing like I have ever read.

The writing in this book was truly incredible. I was completely captivated. I know the story wasn't a love story, but the romance reader inside of me couldn't help but look for it. So, I admit, at times I was rooting for Scarlet and one of her many men, but I would then start to question myself. Am I as fucked up as Scarlet? It certainly made for crazy reading.

He is the only man I would let treat me the way that 
he does because he is the only man to really take care of me ... 
to love me the only way he knows I crave.

I will be looking in to more work by this author. I thought it was brilliant.

I rated "Siren" ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment