Friday 17 June 2016

Review: JA Huss's "Bomb A day in the life of Spencer Shrike (A Rook & Ronin Spin Off)."

Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1U80N0P
Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1WKvtpa

Synopsis:

Spencer Shrike is a plotter. Known for his ingenious, albeit illegal, plans that keeps the Team running efficiently and out of jail, he carries this same love of order into his personal life. He’s kept his long-time main squeeze on the sidelines for years as he builds the Shrike Bikes empire.

Veronica Vaughn is an explosion ready to happen. Ronnie lives in the here and now. She lives for today. She knows what she wants, and she wants it now. And right now Ron the Bomb Vaughn wants Spencer shrike to leave her the hell alone. She’s done playing his game. She’s done waiting around. She’s moving forward with her own plots, plans, and dreams and she’s moving forward tonight. Ron the Bomb is finally—finally—gonna get some satisfaction.

Too bad Spencer Shrike is standing in her way.

Review: Surj 

Spencer Shrike piqued my interest way back in "Tragic" when he offered Rook the "Sturgis" modelling contract. His character intrigued me, mainly because I just couldn't work him out. He gave very little away including what his motives were for some of his actions and behaviours. In fact the more Spencer Shrike featured in each book in this series, the more I wanted to have a good rummage around in his head. I had so many questions about his character I needed answering but more than anything, I was desperate o know who the real "Spencer Shrike" was. What was his story? 

Ronnie is mine. Ronnie has always been mine. I own her ass. She's belonged to me 
since that very first night at the shop. And if she thinks I'm just gonna give her up 
after all these years, she's on some pretty powerful drugs. I won't.

So finally, JA Huss gave me an insight into this man in the novella entitled "Bomb" and boy, this was quite the eye opener. There were definitely a few wobbly moments at the start where I wondered how I could possibly ever fall in love with Spencer Shrike. It appeared that despite his loyalty to his friends, he was quite the player when it came to the ladies and unfortunately, this seemed to fit in with the way he treated his "bit of fluff" Ronnie (or was she?). There was times I could feel the anger starting to build when it came to his behaviour and I could feel myself starting to feel ... I don't know, just a little meh about him!!!! But then it happened... Spencer Shrike turned everything I thought and felt about him on its head!!! Chapters told from the past gave me a very different side to Mr Shrike and slowly but surely I could start to feel myself thawing towards him. In fact it really didn't take long for him to have me swooning and melting and sighing and kinda feeling all kinds of giddy. Spencer Shrike finally had me in the palm of his hand and I was quite happy to stay there. All was definitely not as it appeared when it came to this man!!! 

"Wild isn't even a wild enough term to describe this girl. 
She's like a loose cannon, she's like fireworks, she's like-" 
"A bomb," I say, cutting him off. I smile. I love this characterization of my Bombshell.

And Ronnie, where do I even start with this beautiful bombshell? I guess I should start with an apology because I had her pegged as a blond, big boobed ditzy kinda girl who let Spencer walk all over her. Nope, not at all. I got her so very wrong. There was so much more to this woman then I could have ever imagined. She was strong and feisty but equally, there was a fragile, almost vulnerable side to her. She loved Spencer Shrike and I felt her pain when it appeared that he was just using her and dropping her. I'm so glad she found the courage to say "enough was enough" and move on although that would be a little more difficult that she expected because Spencer Shrike may just have laid claim to her without her knowledge ... lol. 

This was a fab introduction to Spencer Shrike's story and I cannot wait to find out more in (what is) the conclusion to this whole series. 

“I think you just changed my life, Spencer Shrike.”
“That was the plan, Bombshell. That was always the plan.”

I rated "Bomb" ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment