Monday 21 March 2016

Review: Monica Murphy's "Never Tear us Apart (Never Tear us Apart #1)."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1ZKx7Wk
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1lbAPtl

Synopsis:

Crazy how eight years can disappear in an instant. One look at Katie Watts, and I’m a fifteen-year-old again—the one who risked everything to save a terrified girl from her twisted kidnapper. She’s grown-up now—beautiful, quiet, composed—and telling her story to the world. A story that involves me in more ways than you can imagine. She used to call me her guardian angel. Sure, I risked my life, but she was worth dying for.

I need to make contact with her. Just to ensure that she’s safe.

Somehow we reconnect. We become friends . . . but I want more. I want to make her mine. And she wants me too. Does she know who I am? Has she figured me out? Not yet. But she will. In the meantime, I need to make sure that whatever hold that animal had on her is gone.

So, yeah, I’m stealing these moments with her. Savoring them. Knowing, dreading, that she’ll soon find out who I really am. And everything willfall apart. All because of that twisted, perverted monster sitting on death row. Her kidnapper. A convicted serial killer.

My father.

Review: Surj 

"Never Tear us Apart" was my first experience of a novel by Monica Murphy and my oh my, what an explosive way to pop my cherry. This was such a powerful, emotional, heart felt story about survival first and foremost and secondly about love... that thing we all need, that thing we all crave but often fear keeps us from reaching out and grasping it, even when it's there within touching distance. Katie and Ethan's story was definitely a unique one and with a synopsis like that, this book was one I just had to read. 


"I want to live. I'd rather be dead. I want to be strong. It's so much easier to be weak. 
I want to confront my fears and face them head on. I want to run and pretend I don't exist."

Despite the blurb kind of telling the reader the direction the story would take and more or less giving us the start and end points for this book, it was everything in-between that had my pulse soaring. I loved the way Katie and Ethan's story was told. Chapters from the past and present (not always chronological order) and from both POV  could have made this book a jumbled mess but instead it worked and worked really well. Everything fit so seamlessly together, making the story flow perfectly in a way that really helped me put all the pieces of the puzzle together but at the same time, left me craving more. And the pace of the book... it was just right. This was a complex story that was not to be rushed but listened to at the story teller's own pace and Monica Murphy got it down to a T. 


She called me her guardian angel and though I denied it, deep down inside, 
it felt good, her calling me that. Thinking of me in a good way. A positive way. 

As much as this book was about survival, it was marred by lies, deceit and betrayal which seaped into the very marrow of Katie and Ethan's journey to finding their HEA. Every ounce of hope that came my way was tainted by the fact that never in a million years could this end in a good way, regardless of motives and intentions. Hurt, pain and anguish were never far from my mind as I watched a beautiful connection form between the couple. The more things looked like they were on the up however, the more my heart hurt at the devastation that lay ahead, that sense of foreboding never far away.

Ethan's character broke my heart. Despite a childhood that made for painful reading, he had grown into a fine young man and I could see that he was only trying to do good. He was only trying to right the wrongs of the man who had brought him into this world but when the foundations of a relationship are not built on truth, it could only lead to no good. Ethan was so conflicted and so many times I could see he tried to do the right thing but the connection this couple had shared was just too strong for him to walk away. 


Katie Watts. Pretty. Blond. Innocent. Sweet and trusting and needing me so damn bad. 
She was the one I kept chasing like a drug. She was the one I could never have. 

Katie's character had been through so much and at such a young age and it was difficult not to be affected by not only her past but also her present. She was struggling with life, struggling to live and move forward and all she wanted was to be normal, do normal things any twenty one year old would do. Unfortunately the events from the past were never far from her thoughts, fear a constant in everything she did. Katie deserved happiness and I really wanted Ethan to be a part of that for her. 

"Never Tear us Apart" was a brilliant first book in this duology and I cannot wait to see how everything plays out. The bitterness of the past was perfectly balanced with the sweetness of the present, giving me a love story that I was whole heartedly rooting for. Roll on 3rd May 2016 for "Never let you Go" because I'm desperate to see how this all ends. 

I rated "Never tear us Apart" ❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment