Friday 19 February 2016

Review: Victoria Van Tiem's "Holding out for a Hero."


Link to "Lets Hear it for the Boy" (free prequel on Wattpad): w.tt/1TO2608

Synopsis

Their love survived the 80s. She wished she hadn't.

A funny, bitter-sweet romantic dramedy set to an 80's soundtrack, proving first love never truly dies... 

Libby London fell in love in with the 80s, came of age in the 90s, and now, in the 21st Century, she's completely falling apart... Her New York City fashion sensibility is more 'vintage tragedy' than 'retro babe' and might just be what's holding her back in all matters of life and love...

At least that's what her well-meaning friends think. They've staged a #80sIntervention in an effort to bring Libby bang up-to-date. But how do you move forward when the one you love holds you in the past? Between her dreaded birthday party, friend's madcap ambush, and being forced to relocate her Pretty In Pink thrift shop, Libby's nearing the end of the rope... If her therapist isn't quick, it could be a literal one.

Review-Jo 

Having read the free prequel to "Holding out for a Hero" on Wattpad, I couldn't wait to continue with the story. I had instantly fallen in love with Libby's character. She was so lively and fun and I just loved her passion for music, so as you can imagine, I was excited to see how things had turned out for her. However life was not quite as I had imagined for the star of the show. 

"One minute I'm Libby London driving along, 
singing to my favourite jams, and the next, I'm Libby lost?" 

This book was more of a journey than anything else. A journey that was at times hilarious and crazy but there were other moments that were heartbreaking and upsetting. I was so sad that Libby's life was difficult and I was desperate for things to change for her. Because Libby was no longer the easy going girl that I had remembered, I was wondering what had happened to her and why she was so firmly stuck in the past. 

"I don't need marriage, or kids, or their stupid intervention set ups. 
I have love. I do. The kind that takes you over, sweeps you off your feet, 
and leaves you breathless." 

One of the things that I have loved so much about Libby's story was her obsession with all things from the 1980's. I myself love the music and films from that decade so I could totally relate to Libby's retro style-banana clip and all! Lol. After spending the last few days reading this novel and being reminded of my favourite films, I am now itching to pull out my DVD's for a re-watch of the 80's classics. I felt just the same after reading "Love Like The Movies" which resulted in a movie marathon of chick flicks. If you love classic films and music, Victoria Van Tiem is an author you need to add to your TBR. It is impossible not to fall in love with her work.

"Love is beautiful. And I have loved this man my whole life." 

Even though this story had more of a somewhat sombre feel to it than I had first anticipated, I still enjoyed my time with Libby and I am glad that I continued on with her journey, it was just way more emotional than I had expected. Have some tissues near by, they may come in handy! I was in tears during some of the more moving scenes. I was yet again impressed by this authors writing. The story flowed seamlessly and I felt connected to both the characters and what I was reading. I was invested in Libby's progression from the very beginning and my willingness to see her regain her happiness kept me turning those pages, determined to find the answers that I was looking for. 

"I've been holding out for a hero for over sixteen years...
And today of all days, I've finally arrived." 

"Holding out for a Hero" was an an emotional, poignant and heartfelt story that will stay with me for a long time. It gets  ❤️❤️❤️❤️  from me.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment