Wednesday 3 February 2016

Review: Emma Chase's "Tangled (Tangled #1)."


Synopsis:

Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? 

He’ll tell you he has the flu.

But we all know that’s not really true.

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating. 

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life? 

Can Drew Evans win at love? 

Tangled is not your mother’s romance novel. It is an outrageous, passionate, witty narrative about a man who knows a lot about women…just not as much as he thinks he knows. As he tells his story, Drew learns the one thing he never wanted in life, is the only thing he can’t live without. 

Review: Surj

Ok, I'm going to be brutally honest. This book took me forever to pick up. Each and every time I started reading it, I found myself getting so agitated by everything that came our of Drew's mouth that within the space of a couple of pages, I had to put the damn book away again. "Tangled" was not for me... or so I thought. Then I spoke with a friend who really pushed me to carry on. "It gets better," she said. "Drew will definitely grow on you." "The story is just hilarious," she pushed. So I bit the bullet and went for it. What did I have to lose.. right? Well, what can I say other than my friend was so right. I absolutely loved "Tangled." Everything about it was so unique and original and I can really understand why this debut novel by Emma Chase was such a success. 

Don’t look at me like that. I’m not a bad guy. I don’t lie; I don’t sandbag women 
with flowery words about a future together and love at first sight. I’m a straight shooter. 
I’m looking for a good time—for one night—and I tell them so. That’s better than 
ninety percent of the other guys in here, believe me. And most of the girls in here are 
looking for the same thing I am. Okay, maybe that’s not exactly true. But I can’t help 
it if they see me, fuck me, and suddenly want to bear my children. That’s not my problem.

Told from a male perspective, Drew really was something else. He was a bachelor living the high life. He worked hard, he partied harder and he f**ked even harder. What a life! He really had it all going on!!! However, from the moment I was let loose inside his head, and from the moment he started talking to me (yes, that's exactly how this book was written. Drew casually chatting to me was a pure genius way to write this book). Anyway where was I? So yes, the moment Drew opened his mouth and starting chatting, I wanted to inflict pain on him. I wanted to tread on his foot with a stiletto. Kick him really hard in the shins. I mean, was this guy for real??? To say the stuff that came out of Drew's mouth was cringeworthy would be an understatement. He was cocky, arrogant, lewd and crude and  had absolutely no filter. He called it as it was and was not in the habit of apologising for it. This was really going to take some getting used to that's for sure!!! 

No, I haven’t fucked her. Not that I wouldn’t love to. Trust me, 
if she didn’t work for me I’d hit that harder than Mohammed Ali.

However, the more I got to know Drew, the more I actually liked him and before I knew it, I was actually laughing at the stuff that came out of his mouth. This guy was funny, really funny and believe it or not, there was a heart in there too. Drew's analogies were a brilliant touch and the way he justified his actions was just so typically male. I don't know how Emma Chase did it, but I really warmed to Drew and suddenly found myself drawn to his plight and routing for him to get the girl!

She’s magnificent – angelic – gorgeous. Pick a word, any fucking word. 
The bottom line is, for a moment, I forget how to breathe.

Kate's character was equally brilliant. She was strong, resilient and so very loyal to those she held close... but I still wanted her to give Drew a chance, even if they were at it like dog and cat. These two were fierce rivals and their antics had me grinning like a cheshire cat. 

It makes me want to kiss her and strangle her at the same time. 
I’ve never been into S&M. But I’m beginning to see its benefits.

The plot for "Tangled" was superb and the way it was written really complimented the story being told. It was engaging, addictive and so very very funny and I'm so glad I finally bit the bullet and gave this one a go. 

I rated "Tangled" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment