Thursday 21 January 2016

Review: Kristen Ashley's "Deacon (Unfinished heroes # 4)."

Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/1NgidhG
Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/1Osb2qC

Synopsis:

Deacon has an ugly history, a history that broke him, leaving him a ghost of a man. Out of necessity, he left the normal world to descend into the criminal world and found he fit. So he stayed. Cold as ice and living off the grid, Deacon has no intention to connect, not with anyone.

Then he returns to some remote cabins in the Colorado Mountains and finds they have new owners. One of them is Cassidy Swallow, a young woman willing to work hard to live her quiet dream in a house by a river surrounded by aspen and pine.

Suddenly, Deacon finds he’s at war. Cassidy’s pull for him to connect is strong. He fights it, but he loses, always coming back for more. But when he does, he gives her nothing.

From the first time she sees him, Cassidy knows Deacon is dead inside. She knows he’s the kind of man who could destroy a woman. But one night when Deacon’s control slips, Cassidy takes a chance.

He might break her. He also might be her dream come true.

Review: Surj

Kristen Ashley's "Deacon" is a book that I read out of series sequence. In fact out of all of the "Unfinished Heroes" books, I actually read this one last. I didn't read the synopsis and although I recall the mention of Deacon in previous books, he wasn't someone that was particularly on my radar. However that didn't mean that I wasn't dying to get his story. He was a K.A man after all.  So how did I get on? Well let's just say, "Deacon Deacon's" journey to finding a HEA did not disappoint. Not at all. In fact, despite being a little different to the other books in this series (for reasons I shall go into shortly), I still loved everything about his story.  

“Not easy, fightin’ your pull. Wantin’ to be right here. Knowin’ I was no good for you. 
Prayin’ you’d get a man so when I’d come back I’d have a reason to stay away.”

From the minute I was introduced to Deacon, I felt my heart start beating faster and harder, and the further I read, the more excited and giddy I got. Deacon was a complete enigma. He truly was a mystery, the author giving very little away about his past, what he did and more importantly where he went for weeks and months on end. My crazy imagination had Deacon getting into all sorts of trouble and strife, after all, he was a badass with badass ways... lol. There was a point very early on where  I did wonder whether knowing so little about this man would affect my connection to him in some way. My concerns really were unfounded because although I didn't know anything ABOUT him, what Kristen Ashley did so very well was let me get to know Deacon as a person and wow,  I fell head over heels for this him. Deacon had his boundaries. He had his secrets and I gave him those because I knew that when he was ready, he would share them. Be prepared ladies because what he was hiding left me absolutely devastated. What this man went through was inconceivable and left my heart hurting so badly for him. 

Deacon was what we have grown to know and absolutely love from a Kristen Ashley hero (or anti hero in this case). He was all man... 100% and he was alpha, just the way we like them. This author has a way with her leading men. I don't know how she does it because if I heard a friend's partner calling her "woman," I'd be like "excuse me, she has a name!!!" However, when Deacon called Cassidy "woman," I just melted. Seriously, I went all squishy and warm and fuzzy like he'd said the most romantic thing ever!!! Yup, go figure. Like I said, this author really does have a skill in creating characters we can't help but fall in love with. 

The danger he might bring did not scare me. The idea of losing him though...
I had no idea why, but that petrified me. 

And talking of characters, Cassidy was such a fab heroine. Her strength, patience and compassion left me in awe. Put her and Deacon together and something beautiful and pretty special was formed. In fact I savoured every bit of the connection that unraveled between the pair. It was slow that's for sure but I wouldn't have had it any other way. The bond this couple shared despite the secrets was something else, something most can only hope for. And as for the bedroom, these two added a kinky dimension to things that definitely had me getting a little hot under the collar.

"It's a beautiful war baby."
"And I.. just... won."

As I mentioned earlier, "Deacon" was a little different from the other KA books in that much of the action and drama that could have been incorporated into the story line was left the the reader's imagination.  Did it matter that it was left out? Absolutely not because the story I got was enough for me. It kept me glued to the pages, dying to know what was next for this couple. 

Another fantastic addition to the "Unfinished Heroes" series. I rated "Deacon" ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment