Friday 11 September 2015

Review: Emma Chase "Sustained (Legal Briefs #2)."

Review: Emma Chase "Sustained (Legal Briefs #2)."


Synopsis:

A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.

Review: Surj

This was my first Emma Chase book and I can (without a shadow of a doubt) say that it absolutely won't be my last. "Sustained" was such a brilliant, unputdownable read that had lashings of feel good factor that ensured I was smothered in that warm, fuzzy feeling from beginning to end. And to top it off, "Sustained" was told 100% from a male POV which made for such a refreshing change. This author got it perfectly. There were no half measures. No apologies and definitely no sugar coating. Jake's character was realistic, believable and at times a bit of a pig (lol) but I couldn't help but go weak at the knees for him. 

Sorry, Cinderella, but the clock struct twelve. The coach has turned back 
into a pumpkin and it's time to collect your glass slipper.
I never pretended to be Prince Charming.

I loved the uniqueness of the story line and everything it offered. It was sweet and sexy, heart warming and definitely humorous. There were some real laugh out loud moments and much of that came from Jake's inner thoughts. He really was a laugh a minute, despite the fact that he did have moments where he was a complete jerk. See, Jake was the kinda guy who didn't do commitment... of any sort and he made that pretty clear. He was the love em and leave em sort and made no apologies for it. His focus was his career and anything that affected that was a distraction he didn't need. Unfortunately he wasn't the nicest of people when he tried to get his point across. That is until Chelsea McQuaid. Her character was fantastic. She was strong and patient and giving and completely selfless. She left her whole life behind when her brother died and didn't hesitate once when it came to bringing up her six nieces and nephews on her own. She was all the little tribe had left. But trust me, looking after six very different personalities of varying ages was no mean feat and I took my hat of to chelsea for all she had taken on without even batting an eye lid. 

"Is he dead?"   
"He's not dead- he's still breathing."    
"Can you breathe if you're dead?" 
"No. Well, maybe. But you'd need a ventilator." 
Sniff. Sniff. He smells like he's dead."

Without trying, Chelsea and the kids turned Jake's life on it's head. She didn't ask him for anything yet Jake suddenly found himself volunteering, whether that be to pick up one of the little ones from the cop shop or a trip to the emergency room, he was always there. it was like the cutest ready made family ever. Chelsea and Jake were just perfect together. A match made in heaven, a partnership most could only hope for. Plus all of the kids were just adorable and there were some hilarious moments with them. Their antics had me in stitches and their way with words was just too cute. But trust me, "Sustained" isn't all hearts, flowers and happily ever afters. There was a constant undercurrent of angst because of how chelsea came to be the main care giver to six children plus Jake had his own demons he was battling. yup, be prepared for a touch of heart break, a bit of anger and a whole lot of emotional turmoil because this did not end up being the walk in the park on a beautiful sunny day I thought it was going to be... lol. 

“You’re not just a ‘good time’ to me—you know that, right? 
You have to know that, you’re . . . so much more. 
And I don’t handle . . . more . . . very well.”

I'm so glad I've finally popped my Emma Chase cherry and what a book to pop it to. The writing was flawless and she got her characters down to a T. I cannot wait to read more from this author and if this book is anything to go by, I'm going to love her work. 

I rated "Sustained" a strong ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

“Because apparently One Direction’s superpower is instant friendship. 
Someone should ship them to the Middle East so they can 
get to work on that Israel-Palestine thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment