Monday 4 May 2015

Review: J.M Darhower's "The Mad Tatter."

Review: J.M Darhower's "The Mad Tatter."

Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/1OuqodF
Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/1HCw1US

Synopsis:

Reece Hatfield has just one rule when it comes to falling in love: don't fucking do it. There's no room in his life for another person. He can barely keep a handle on things as it is. A shadow of the man he used to be, Reece spends his days tattooing, the artist inside of him longing for the chance to do something different. 

Avery Moore is all dance, all the time. Ballet is all she's ever known, and she's damn good at it. Her body is her art, a living canvas that captivates Reece the first time he lays his eyes on her. 

He yearns to leave his mark on her body... in more ways than one. 

The tattooed degenerate with a shady past. The beautiful ballerina with a bright future. They live in different worlds, yet somehow, they fit. But just because they fit doesn't mean they belong together. Cracks sometimes form. Two pieces don't always make a whole. The course of love never did run smoothly. Things get messy. 

And Reece doesn't do messy. 

Not anymore.

Review: Surj 

Wow... just wow. "The Mad Tatter" was an absolute gem of a book that was so different to what I'm used to reading but equally as amazing. There was no huge plot. There was no major drama, mystery or suspense that had me on the edge of my seat.  In fact my nerves remained intact and there was no requirement for anxiety meds... go figure huh. Instead what I got was a beautiful, realistic, often heart breaking story that had a raw intensity and a quiet angst that held me captive right the way through. I'm so glad I one clicked because I was so invested in Reece and Avery's story, I couldn't put this book down. 

"People still judge a book by its cover, Avery. And your story? 
It's beautiful. You're beautiful. But I'm nothing but a ripped out page, 
graffiti where some should never be. Don't taint your story with me."

Reece was a man who had once thought he was invincible, who thought he had the world at his feet. A man who thought he was untouchable. He was young, a little foolish but there was a part of me that had a little admiration for him because he was following his dreams, doing what he did best.. creating art... beautiful art that I could visualise in my head. Unfortunately poor choices and bad judgement calls meant that in one felled swoop, it was all taken away from him. His hopes, his dreams, a future he'd mapped out all gone with the blink of an eye. Yes it was part his fault but there were other forces involved which meant he really didn't stand a chance. Reece was a shadow of his former self, working as a tattooist to make ends meet. 

"Rhys the fourth was destined to be a great painter, like Da Vinci or Michelangelo, 
but Reece? He was what my mother calls a colouring book crook... 
meaning my art looks like I ripped off a five year old."

Told from his POV, I felt every ounce of his uphill struggle. I counted his pennies when he went for a drink. I worried for him when appointments were cancelled. I worried about how he was manage, especially because he had a beautiful little girl by the name of Lexie who completely stole my heart. This girl was everything to Reece. She was the perfect in his imperfect world. She was the light in his darkness and despite his situation, I felt it down to my very soul that he was doing everything possible to create a better life, a life where he could give little miss everything she wanted. He was a wonderful dad  and I loved the father/ daughter interactions. They were heart warming, hilarious, cute, adorable. These two were a perfect team. 

“I feel like I’m in an entirely different world when I’m with you, a world I never knew existed before…like I never knew it could be this way, that I could be this way.” 

Avery was a ballet student at the world famous Juilliard. She was following her dreams of being a dancer and I could feel the ambition, the drive, the positivity in her. She was the complete opposite of Reece was had kinda hit rock bottom with very little self esteem, seeing himself as a loser, as worthless. They say opposites attract and boy did that attraction sizzle from the moment these two clapped eyes on one another.  Reece wasn't looking for a relationship. In fact he wasn't looking for much of anything other than a meaningless one night hook up but Avery managed to turn all of that on it's head without even trying. She turned uncomplicated into complicated... into messy and Reece didn't do messy... or did he? 

I went from slipping out of bedrooms in the middle of the night to inviting her right 
into mine, and I can’t even pinpoint when it happened or why. It started with 
wanting to draw on her skin but now… now she’s starting to become everything.

On the surface Reece and Avery couldn't have been more different. You'd think they were from opposite sides of the track. But peel back the layers and what I saw was something beautiful. It was unconditional and with out expectations. It was without prejudice or labels. It was profound and I for one loved that their connection built slowly, thanking the heavens for no instalove.

Reece and Avery's story was full to the brim with emotion. There were so many highs for the couple  but equally so many lows. There was laughter, tears, joy and sorrow but every bit of it was worth it. And the writing.. well that really was flawless and absolutely helped to cement my love for this book.  "The Mad Tatter" was about the struggles in life and the curve balls thrown in to test us. It was about finding yourself and finding your self worth. But most importantly it was a book about unconditional love and hope. 

This was a ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ read for me but I'm really hoping that this author gives us Avery's POV. Although this didn't affect my enjoyment of "The Mad Tatter," I'd just love to know more about this woman and see what went through her mind during various scenes in the book. A sequel would equally be brilliant because as much as the story had no cliffy, I really feel there's more to their story. I don't feel like their journey is quite over.. is that just wishful thinking on my part? 

Anyway, I can't recommend this book enough. Go click and enjoy "The Mad Tatter." 


No comments:

Post a Comment