Monday 18 May 2015

Review: EK Blair's "Echo (Black Lotus # 2)."

Review: EK Blair's "Echo (Black Lotus # 2)."

Amazon.com:  http://amzn.to/1PEG10G
Amazon UK:   http://amzn.to/1bMFXi5

Synopsis:

It's been said the longest echo ever measured lasted 75 seconds, but I can assure you, this will last much longer. The bang deafened the world around me, muting everything into nullity, allowing the reflection of its destruction to live far beyond its intended life. 

It will follow me forever, destroying me—destroying you.

You want answers? 

So do I.

Review: Surj

E.K Blair's "Echo" was one of the most anticipated books of the year. I clicked it. I read it and now I'm trying to review it but fuck if it's absolutely killing me to do so. Every attempt at putting pen to paper feels like I'm doing this author's amazing work an injustice. There's so much I want to talk about. So much I want to say but I can't and I won't. I will not be that person who spoils this book for you. No way. "Echo" is a book you need to go into blind... completely blind and if you read "Bang," you'll  understand why. 

“The fire in me is gone. Only ash and embers remain. 
Echoes and shadows. Darkness and death.”

Whereas "Bang" was a thrilling, exciting, nerve wracking mind fuck of a read, "Echo" was definitely the complete opposite. This book was emotionally dark and well and truly fucked with my heart. I'm not sure what I was expecting but the lump that lodged in my throat and the subsequent tears that fell was not something I had banked on. From the minute I turned the first few pages, my heart started to fracture and by the half way mark it had well and truly shattered. This couldn't be happening. I'd worked it out. I'd picked up the clues. I knew... I guessed but it was the after effects that hit me like a freight train going full speed. I thought I had been clever ... that I was somewhat untouchable because of the knowledge I had but E.K Blair was one step ahead. Yup, her words, the writing, the inner dialogue, the characters... all of it felt like I had been cut wide open, the pain consuming me. My mind was tormented, conflicted and in the mother of all battles with my heart. The lines between right and wrong blurred and my morals were thrown out of the window.... what the hell was wrong with me? 

Forever changed. Forever a monster. Each bullet leaves a soot stain on your soul 
that you can’t get rid of, and you never forget the taste of burnt gunpowder 
on the back of your tongue. Each life you take brands you for eternity. 

"Echo" was about loss, grief, forgiveness, acceptance and redemption.  There was so much about it I loved. So much that made for uncomfortable reading. So much that left me conflicted about the characters and so much that left me speechless. You think you know where E.K Blair is taking this story? ... think again. "Bang" was merely a tiny piece in what now appears to be a giant puzzle. Expect the unexpected because nothing is as it seems. The events that unfolded at the end of book one were a mere catalyst in ensuring the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth was finally revealed.  There were so many heart stopping, jaw dropping moments where I felt like I'd been punched in the gut but that ending... for fucks sake Mrs Blair... seriously? You're killing me. I thought I had all the pieces... nope there's so much more to come and I cannot wait. I don't care how long it takes. What I do know is that "Hush" will be worth it because this author will ensure it. 

Sometimes, for some people, the fairytale only exists in death.

And I can't finish this review without talking about said author. E.K Blair really is something else. I've never met an author like her. The way she talks about Bang, about Echo, about the characters, the story line, the twists, the curve balls... it's always with this air of excitement you can't help but be drawn to. You can see her eyes dancing with happiness as she discusses her books. There's this passion, this spark I've never witnessed before. I had the privilege of meeting her in Edinburgh last year and just so happened to bump into her in the lobby of a hotel. She stopped, tuned the world out and happily conversed about all the goings on in Bang and would have continued to do so had her husband not nudged her about their plans for the day (oops). This is an author that will never get bored of talking about this series... ever and that thrills me to bits. I'm so glad because I don't think I'll ever get bored of hearing about it. 

I may no longer hear the screaming demons of my past, but they 
do indeed to continue to scream. It’s a reminder that you’re never truly free. 

Another ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Mrs Blair. I loves ya for giving me such an amazing book. Now I shall go and take my broken heart and attempt to superglue it back together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment