Saturday 18 April 2015

Review: Kristy Bromberg's "Slow Burn (Driven #5)."

Review: Kristy Bromberg's "Slow Burn (Driven #5)."

Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1GHSP6V
Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1NEmFgB

Synopsis:

One Night. That's all it was supposed to be.

Reeling from the sudden loss of her sister, Haddie Montgomery has sworn off relationships. All she wanted from Beckett Daniels was a sexy distraction to help her escape her pain for just a little while....There weren’t supposed to be any strings attached—so why can’t she shake the memory of that unforgettable night from her thoughts? Or the taste of his kiss from her lips?

No matter how hard Haddie tries to forget about him, Becks relentlessly tries to prove that she should start living for today. But she is determined to avoid romantic commitment, and she can always use her ex-boyfriend’s reappearance to help snuff out the slow burn within her that Becks has sparked....

Or will fate force her to realize that this kind of connection doesn’t come along very often and a chance at love is worth the risk?

Review: Surj Harvey

I fell in love with Haddie and Beckett in "The Driven Trilogy." In fact I loved them so much that in my review for "Fueled," I actually wrote that I hoped they'd get their own book one day because I could see a story somewhere!!! Funny that... lol. Well I got what I wanted ... woo hoo!! However the story I thought I'd get and the story I actually got couldn't have been more different. I went on what I knew about Haddie and Beckett and I thought their book would be a light hearted, more upbeat love story that would have me swooning like a love sick puppy!!! So yeah, I guess that didn't happen.  

“Because he’s a forever. And I can only focus on todays.”

Instead what I got was a heart breaking, emotionally charged read that more often than not left me devastated. Had I really got it so wrong? Well yes obviously I had because Haddie was not the same girl I'd met way back when. In fact she was a shadow of her former self. Gone was the bold as brash, say it how it is, fun loving girl and in her place I found a lost, vulnerable, frightened woman who was harbouring a secret that was consuming her. It ate away at her past, invaded her dreams, stopped her from living in the present and prevented her from embracing a future. She was a mess and my heart truly went out to her. One night. One night with Beckett was all she wanted to help her forget. To stop her feeling. To help lose herself for just a few moments. No strings. No commitment. Unfortunately one night was all to took to ignite a spark. The question was, would she still be able to walk away? More importantly, would Beckett let her? 

Ah Beckett, my knight in shining armour. he so got voodoo'd... lol. I loved every single thing about Beckett's character. He was a fighter and when he wanted something, boy did he fight to get it. He was like a dog with a bone, persistent, determined and relentless in his pursuit. Haddie didn't stand a chance or did she? 


"I don't care how fucking long it takes to prove otherwise, but Haddie Montgomery 
is not going to walk away from me again without a fight."

To say Haddie and Beckett's relationship was tumultuous is an understatement. What they shared was intense, passionate and heated. But on the flip side of that, it was also extremely volatile. Haddie was intent on jeopardising any chance the couple had of a future and there were moments she was quite vicious in her assault.  There was so much push and pull on her part. Each time she gave Beckett an indication that things could progress between them, she'd quickly snatch it away. Grrr. She had her reasons and despite feeling frustrated with her time and time again, if I stepped back and looked at things from her POV, I understood. I might not agree but I understood. Beckett (bless him) had the patience of a saint. Thank god for his thick skin and understanding nature. I'm not sure I could have been as forgiving as he was.  

"Slow Burn" wasn't your typical fairytale. In fact it was far from it. What it was though was real and believable for the storyline that unfolded and the topics that were covered. Life is rarely perfect and love.. well the best relationships are usually those that had to be fought for and haddie and Beckett's was definitely that. Kristy Bromberg executed their story perfectly giving us angst and heart break by the bucket load. Add to that some smouldering sex scenes, a crap load of frustration and (believe it or not) a sprinkle of laugh out loud banter between some of the characters and this was a book absolutely worth the read. 

“I just figured you were having some regression pussy.”

“Slow burn, my ass. More like fire in the goddamn hole.”

If you loved "The Driven Series," you will absolutely love "Slow Burn." I rated it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment