Tuesday 6 January 2015

Review: Karina Halle's "The Pact."

Review: Karina Halle's "The Pact."


Synopsis:

It all started with a pinky swear…

Linden McGregor is tall, rugged, and gunslinger handsome; a helicopter pilot with a Scottish brogue and charm to spare. He’s also one of Stephanie Robson’s best friends and has fit into that box for as long as she’s known him.

Beautiful, funny and an ambitious businesswoman (with one hell of an ass), Stephanie Robson is one of Linden McGregor’s best friends and has fit into that box for as long as he’s known her.

But some relationships can’t be boxed, can’t be classified, can’t be tamed.

Back in their mid-twenties and tired of the competitive hit-or-miss dating scene of San Francisco, Steph and Linden made a pact to marry each other if neither one of them are in a serious relationship by the time they hit thirty.

It sounds like fun and games but as the years to thirty tick past and lovers come and go out of their lives, the pact becomes larger than life.
Sex is inevitable. Friendships are tested. Hearts are on the line.

The pact is about to change everything.

Review: Surj Harvey

If you're a fan of Karina Halle, then I have every faith you will fall in love with "The Pact." This book truly is a reflection of just how flexible this author is. Now I'm no expert on her work, in fact I'm relatively new to it, having only read four of the many books she's written but what I can say is, each of the books I've read couldn't have been more different to the next, not only in terms of the story lines and the characters but also her writing style. From raw, gritty and brutal to heart felt and angst ridden, her books are definitely unique in their own right. Yet despite this, there has always been one constant... one thing this author never fails to deliver and that is a truly breath taking, captivating, addictive love story and "The Pact" was no exception. 

I wanted Steph. My best friend. She was my baby blue and I was her cowboy. 
So a pact, a foolish, naïve pact, was born.

This book was light hearted, funny, swoon worthy and sizzlingly sexy with just the right amount of angst to keep your pulse raised and your nerves on edge. If for one second you think this will be a predictable friends to lovers story, think again because Linden and Stephs journey was anything but. Yes they may have made a pact one very drunken night to get married if they were still single when they hit thirty, but it was everything that happened during those years in between making that pact and hitting the big three-O that had me reading like a crazed woman. I was desperate for the couple to get together, to get it on...  to just .. Well you know... But life just seemed to get in the way. Yes this was a love story, but actually it was about so much more than that. 

I want to be everything to her. I want to be the best and her only. 
I want to make her wan me, crave me, yearn for me, all the fucking time. I want her to
 know what it's like to want and I want to know what's like to be wanted by her.

"The Pact" was about age and expectation. It was about self discovery and finding your place in the world. It was about fear, risk and reward but most importantly, it was a story about friendship and sacrifice. As I witnessed the characters navigate their way through  life, dealing with the highs and lows, the ups and downs, the romances and heart breaks and the trials and tribulations, I very quickly realised their journey to finding their HEA would not be an easy one but I loved every single bit of it all the same. 

Everything is changing. I'm nowhere but I'm somewhere and it's not where I want to be. 

Linden completely surprised me very early on in the book and I couldn't help but fall head over heels for him.  His light hearted banter had me laughing out loud and his mouth in the bedroom... holy moly he was a filthy beast that had me all flustered and flushed... definitely not scenes to be read whilst in the company of others... your body language would definitely make it obvious what you were reading with thighs clenching, toes curling and the odd fidget in your seat... trust me, he was that good. 

I adored Stephanie. She really was a true friend. She had a real strength to her character but it was that edge of vulnerability that made her realistic for me. 

One of the things I love about her is that she has no idea just how fucking special she is.

This book had me laughing and almost crying. It had my heart soaring and then shattering and it had the butterflies in my belly doing a happy dance one minute and then playing dead as if there was a lead weight in my stomach the next. I thought I could guess the direction the storyline would take but I was wrong and it was the element of surprise time and time again that kept me on my toes and had me reading none stop and tuning out the world.

Looking for something different? Looking for a love story that leaves you giddy with excitement?Then I couldn't recommend Karina Halle's "The Pact" enough. I rated it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

"What are you smiling at?" she smirks from under me.

"You... the answer will always be you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment