Sunday 14 December 2014

Review: Alyssa Rose Ivy's "The Hazards of Mistletoe"

Review for Alyssa Rose Ivy's "The Hazards of Mistletoe" 

Amazon UK:     http://amzn.to/11EWqAL
Amazon.com:    http://amzn.to/11EWtg8 

Synopsis: 

One snowy Christmas Eve, one mistletoe kiss, one friendship changed forever.

Don’t underestimate the power of mistletoe. It looks innocent enough, but a single branch has the potential to change your life. One mistletoe kiss led to the most embarrassing night of my life, but thankfully by the next Christmas I ended up exactly where I was supposed to be. 

Goodreads: 


Review-Jo Rushton 

I enjoyed reading the previous books in the "Hazards" series so when I saw that there was a going to be a Christmas story, I was eager to get stuck in. This was my first Christmas story of the year, so I made myself a hot chocolate and got myself comfortable, ready to be swept up in the festive feeling. 

"The Hazards of Mistletoe" follows the story of Savannah and Glen. The pair were childhood friends who reunited every Christmas when Savannah visited her Father for the holidays. The story began when Savannah was eighteen. Her feelings for Glen had changed and were no longer just platonic. Whilst the pair were out together, they come across some conveniently placed mistletoe. What happened under that mistletoe changed everything between the couple, leaving Savannah heartbroken and humiliated. 

I was never going to be the same. And neither was Christmas.

The story then skips to the following Christmas and once again Savannah and Glen are in the same place at the same time. So can the couple pick up their friendship where they left off or did the mistletoe cause irreparable damage?

"I trust you with everything but my heart." 

I am sorry to say that I was left feeling a little disappointed with this story. I felt that it lacked excitement and I found myself becoming easily distracted. It just failed to pull me in the way that the previous books had. I also found it difficult to connect with the characters. I found Savannah to be a little dull and miserable. And as for Glen, I couldn't understand why he left things the way that he did. I can't go in to much detail without spoiling the story but I wanted him to fight for his girl, surely if his feelings for Savannah were so strong, he would have tried harder to make things right between them. I felt that he had a bit too much self pity. I like my man to be all alpha and sadly, Glen let me down. 

On a positive note, I did enjoy the final few chapters and found that finally I was getting a little Christmas cheer from the story. There were some, much needed tender moments between Savannah and Glen and I was pleased that there was an epilogue that wrapped the story up perfectly. 

"You promise we'll be kissing under the mistletoe tomorrow. 
I need to know mistletoe kisses aren't bad luck." 

"Savy, I plan on kissing you under the mistletoe every Christmas for the rest of my life. "

Although this story is part of a series, it can be read as a stand alone as there was only a tiny connection with the other characters from the previous books.

"The Hazards of Mistletoe" gets ❤️❤️❤️ Prickly Mistletoe Hearts from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment