Saturday 15 November 2014

Review: Michelle A Valentine's "Rock my Body (Black Falcon #4)."

❤️❤️❤️ Review: Michelle A Valentine's "Rock my Body (Black Falcon #4)."

Amazon UK:    http://amzn.to/1sa1UZF
Amazon.com:   http://amzn.to/1xcX0RK

Synopsis:

Tyke Douglas is tired of being the glue that holds the hottest band in the world together. If the rest of the guys are out doing their own thing, then why shouldn’t he? He’s about to turn things up a notch and bring a whole new level of crazy into Black Falcon’s world. 

Francine Mead is putting her sordid past behind and is determined to help others overcome their demons along side her. The first step in her new life is taking a job as an addiction counselor, where she can mentor others through their struggles. Francine never expected to be lured back into temptation when her first sexy celebrity client, Tyke Douglas walks through her door. The moment she lays eyes on him, she’s in trouble. 

Both Tyke and Francine know a relationship between them would be a disaster, but with each session, things continue to heat up, making it impossible to deny the connection they share. Boundaries cross, attractions heighten and both of their willpowers will be tested to the very limit.

Novel centers around Tyke Douglas, bassist of Black Falcon, and is final book in the series.

Review: Surj Harvey

"Rock my Body" was one of those books that started off absolutely brilliant but then somewhere along the line, my enjoyment of Tyke's story waned. At some point, it felt like someone had pressed the fast forward button on what could have been a really emotional, heart wrenching story and before I knew it, I'd turned the last page and it was over.... at 80% I might add!!! Gutted. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this final book in the "Black Falcon Series" was really bad... just that it felt rushed and as such missed some of that intensity, that nervous anticipation, that harsh brutality that I would have expected from a book covering the subject matters that "Rock my Body" did. 


People say there can be no light without darkness. It's a nice quote and all, but I'm
convinced it's a load of shit people love to hang on to to feel better. 

So let's start with the good. Well, the beginning completely blew me away. It was emotional, gut wrenching and soul destroying  as I witnessed Tyke's life spiral out of control. Here was a man who felt so alone, who was harboring so much pain and the only way he knew how to deal with it was through drugs. They gave him the release he needed and helped him forget (just for a few moments) how bad things really were. What made it all the more heart breaking was his constant denial that there was a problem and it would take hitting rock bottom for him to realise that he was in fact an addict. Until that point however, he would fight it all the way. The first few chapters of this book were hard hitting and at times difficult to read but I really felt like I was in the mind of addict, his behaviour an honest reflection of just that.

As much as I wish we could have a fairy tale romance, I know this is reality
and happily ever afters don't happen to broken people like us. 

I think from the moment Tyke entered rehab, things started to head south for me. The premise of the plot was fantastic but the execution of parts of it really fell short. Many of the avenues Tyke's story took felt like they just weren't explored enough and as such lacked depth. In turn I felt my connection to parts of the story and to the characters were lost. I wanted a build up to the forbidden romance between Frannie and Tyke but it was more or less instant and before I knew it, they were in love. I wanted to experience Tyke's withdrawal with him. I wanted to see his thought processes, feel the emotions he went through as the drugs that had helped him for so long left his body. Unfortunately his detox lasted a page. There was a sub plot which added an air of mystery and suspense to "Rock my Body" but again, as soon as the revelation was made, that was it... onwards and upwards. 


I'm an addict myself, but my drug of choice isn't anything crushed, shot or snorted. 
It's better of I put on a facade and pretend that I'm a conservative woman- a little prudish. 

Frannie's past... so much could have been made of this and I think exploring that side to her character further would have helped me understand why she did what she did and why she behaved the way she did. I really struggled with her character at times and just couldn't get her right in my head. 

"Rock my Body" was a relatively short read and with an epilogue for the whole series included, finished at 80% (loc 2676: kindle). I needed more... so much more and I feel the author merely skimmed the surface on so many aspects of this book. By further exploring certain avenues of Tyke's story, I know this could could have been an amazing read. Maybe I'm just being greedy, I don'y know but this final installment of the "Black Flacon Series" got ❤️❤️❤️ from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment