Sunday 2 November 2014

Review: Crystal D. Spears "Resenting Me."

3 Hearts Review: Crystal D. Spears "Resenting Me."


Synopsis:

One look at the beautiful Hawaiian flower dancing on stage at his buddy’s strip club and Pyro’s world changes. He’s lost, captivated, head over heels. He tries to stay away, resist her charms, but he just can’t find the strength to do it. Instead, he hires Hazel and Winter as entertainment for the Breakneck President’s thirtieth birthday party, unknowingly putting the girls’ lives in danger. 

Hazel convinces Winter to take the Breakneck gig so that she can get closer to Pyro. Playing the temptress to the max, Hazel appears on stage wearing white angel wings, and little else, drawing Pyro in to where she wants him. Needless to say, they both get very little sleep that night. 

One night together making love until the sun comes up and these two are in too deep. But this is the Breakneck world, and sunrise brings gunfire and bloodshed. Time brings Winter’s abduction and brutal rape. Hazel’s guilt burrows deep, and she pushes everyone away. She is resenting herself for convincing Winter to enter this Breakneck world. She is resenting Pyro for ensnaring her heart. 

This is the story of Pyro and Lana. It is simply the story of how, sometimes, love just isn’t enough.

Review: Surj Harvey

For those of you who read Crystal Spears "Seize Me," you'll know what a brilliant, amazing, awesome read it was. I loved every bit of it and yes, it pulled me right out of my cosy reading corner and sent my mind into over drive. I couldn't get enough of the story and was hooked more or less from page one. I wanted raw, gritty, dirty and angsty and that's exactly what i got... and I was in heaven. So knowing I was going to get a companion novella which gave me Lana and Pyro's story... well I was like a kid in a sweet shop... I was beyond excited because I fell in love with both these characters in the first book and despite their ups and downs, had rooted for them as a couple right up until the very end. 

" I..." Gasp."Love..."Gasp."You....Stefan"

So how did it go? Oh man, it really pains me to say this but "Resenting Me" just didn't have the wow factor I was expecting. In fact I really struggled with it and the main reason behind that was the pace. Everything moved so fast that I found it difficult to connect with the story line, the characters and the relationship that had formed. I wanted undying love, a passion like no other. I wanted to feel excited for the couple, angry when things went south. I wanted angst, heart break and pain but that never came because the scenes moved forward so quickly. Nothing felt as believable as it had in the first book and I felt completely gutted. 

There was also very little extra that I got in terms of scenes. Most of what I read was a refresher of events that had happened in "Seize Me" but this couple weren't always together (through one thing and another) and I would have loved to been a fly on the wall in those moments. What happened when Lana left Winter because of the unbearable guilt she felt? I wanted to feel those emotions. I wanted to feel the torture that ripped through Pyro during those times because one thing's for certain, it wasn't a bed of roses for either character. 

"Always... always feel, Stefan."

The last 5% ish kinda saved the book for me. I got the emotions I was looking for and it damn well broke my heart!!! Yay!!! At last!!! But then it finished!!! 

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to my views but hey ho, you can't win them all. I will say this though, I can't wait to get the next full length novel in this series and by the sounds of it, "Shadowing Me" is going to be full to the brim with drama, action, shoot outs, murders... oh yeah... and love!!! Just the way I like it!!! I rated "Resenting Me" 3 Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment