Monday 22 September 2014

Review: Kristen Ashley's "Games of the Heart (The Burg #4)".

5 Hearts Review: Kristen Ashley's "Games of the Heart (The Burg #4)". 


Synopsis:

From the balcony of his house, Mike Haines can see the quiet, commonplace beauty of the Holliday farm. But what he remembers is the little sister of his high school girlfriend, Dusty who grew up there. As a teen, Dusty had gone off the rails but when she was a kid, she was sweet, she was funny and she had a special bond with Mike. But after high school, she took off and Mike never saw her again.

Then tragedy strikes Dusty’s family, she comes back into town and Mike thinks she hasn't changed back to the sweet, funny girl he knew but instead continued to be selfish and thoughtless, leaving her family alone to deal with their mourning. So he seeks her out and confronts her in an effort to understand what went wrong and to force her to sort herself out.

He finds out quickly he’s wrong about Dusty Holliday. Very wrong. And right after Mike discovers that, the bond they had years before snaps back into place in ways he would never suspect.

But Mike Haines had a bad marriage then he played games of the heart for a good woman. And lost. In order to protect himself and his kids, he’s cautious, he’s careful to read the signs and he’s not interested in finding a woman he has to fix.

Then he learns what happened to Dusty and he thinks she needs to be fixed. He swings, he misses and in this new game of hearts, for Dusty, Mike just got strike three.

Review-Jo 

"Games of the Heart" was yet another brilliant story from The Burg Series. After finishing each one of these books I'm always left with a warm, squishy feeling. Kristen Ashley possesses a wonderful gift of being able to write stories that overflow with love and I can literally feel it pouring from the pages. The Burg Series is one that I have truly taken to my heart and this book is one that (yet again) I absolutely loved. 

In this, the forth book, it's Mike's turn to take a chance on love. I'd already been introduced to Mike in a previous story from this series. He was the sexy cop who briefly dated Vi. I remembered him as a good guy and in this story I realized how good a man he truly was. For me, he was just perfect. 

Dusty was the little sister of Mike's ex-girlfriend and as such had spent a lot of time with Mike whilst growing up. She'd moved away after leaving school and not returned until a tragedy had occurred and bought her back to the Burg. It was this tragedy that reunited the couple. 

I loved Dusty. She was strong and independent, lived life to the fullest and didn't let anything get in her way. She was another brilliant female character. 

Dusty and Mike didn't waste any time getting reacquainted and it wasn't long before they were getting down to business!!!  And that's what I love about these books. Every KA book that I have read so far have been filled with hot, alpha men that are not afraid to show their true feelings. When a KA man finds a women that he wants, he makes his intentions clear and he claims her and that's it. No messing! This is my kind of HAWT!!!!

"I'm not asking you to marry me. I am sayin' that I care about you. 
I do it deeply and I have for a really fuckin long time. 
We're gonna explore this and I hope to God the feelin' I got is not wrong because I tried time 
and time again to make it feel wrong but all I ever felt was right." 

KA's men are sexy, strong, protective, possessive, loving and amazing in bed!! Mike was all of those things and so much more. Boy do these men make me want to move to the Burg (But don't tell my husband! lol). 

"You're a bad boy under all that good,"
"Nothin bad about it. You came harder than you ever climaxed, seems to me, that's all good,"
"You got more where that came from?"
"You liked that, you got a lot to look forward to."

This fourth book in the series wasn't just a romance though (but KA's books never are, that's a given). There was a whole lot of drama thrown in for good measure and as the story unfolded and unexpected twist was thrown in, I was left on the edge of my seat, desperate to see how everything would turn out. 

Somethings coming, Mike. I feel it. Cold in my bones. Deep down. 
I've never felt anything like it. But I can't deny I feel it. Something's coming. Something bad.

.I loved catching up with the old characters and also enjoyed getting to know the new ones including Mike's two children and Dusty's nephew "Fin" who were my favorites and I'm sure I will get to hear more of them in future books. 

It's really is impossible to read just one KA book because all of the characters are interwoven into each of the stories. It's like reading about one huge family (a loving and welcoming one at that) and I always feel like I'm coming home when I pick up the next installment. This series is one that I truly get lost in and I couldn't begin to give "Games of the Heart" anything less than 5 squishy hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment